Can Spindle Pins control BTS7960 43A Motor Driver

gus

Can Spindle Pins control BTS7960 43A Motor Driver

Post by gus » Mon May 04, 2020 8:55 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi CNC 2.60 board and the x/y/z axis stepper motors (external controllers) are set up and working fine thru bcnc. I am now trying to set up a variable speed motor for small work. It uses a 24v motor and I have a BTS7960 motor driver. The board has 8 options for inputs and I am not positive on how to connect the few that I need to control the motor using pwm thru the Protoneer 2.60 on my rpi (I do not want to fry anything, thus I will ask).

The first goal is a low cost variable speed motor control - this motor controller is 'in stock' (at my workbench) and I believe it will work, but I have not hooked up the spindle as I do not want to let the smoke out too quickly - I have researched what little I can find and I am just thinking this gives me a single spindle direction, not reversible like the protoneer board will support. I did see the post that talked about spindle pins for the chinese controller and wonder if i am missing a step in-between the protoneer 2.60 and the BTS7960 43A control that would give me full pwm dual direction control.

Here is what is known:

The Protoneer 2.60 has the following outputs (just restating and numbering so I can reference in a minute):
1 SPN Dir
2 GND
3 SPN EN
4 GND
---
5 Limit X
6 Limit Y
7 Limit Z
8 Probe
---
9 Coolant
10 Gnd
11 12-36V
12 Gnd

The Motor Driver module I have is listed as a BTS7960 43A high Power Motor Driver Module (it is a full H-bridge driver module / H-bridger driver circuit - i think it was an amazon purchase a while back) and has the following inputs identified:
A GND : Ground
B VCC : controller power supply (5v)
C L_IS : reverse/current alarm output
D R_IS : forward/current alarm output
E L_EN : reverse/enable (active HIGH)
F R_EN : forward/enable (active HIGH)
G LPWM : reverse/PWM (active High)
H RPWM : forward/PWM (active High)

J (B-) : Motor Power Supply (-)
K (B+) : Motor Power Supply (+) <5.5 - 27v)
L (M+) : motor + lead
M (M-) : motor - lead

SO, here is where my interpretations of the motor drive module start...
Since the controller is an H bridge, there is a R and L side with one representing each direction (CW & CCW)
GND is straight forward and just needs hooked to any ground on the Protoneer 2.60 (2,4,10 or 12)
VCC needs 5v to power the motor controller - this can come from the protoneer 2.60 spindle enable pin #3)
If L_IS and R_IS are alarm outputs then I don't need them for feedback (i wont get feedback on reverse current issues)
I view R_EN and L_EN are used to Enable the motor to turn CW/CCW (on the controller)
RPWM and LWPM are used to determine speed in CW/CCW Direction (on the controller)

SO, here is where my questions start...

Are all the grounds the same (all constant ground for 2,4,10 & 12 on the protoneer 2.60)

Does it sound logical to try the following wiring if I believe the the 4 connections I NEED to hook up from the motor control to the protoneer are:
A (Gnd) to 2 (Gnd)
B (VCC) to 5v - should this come from the 5v near the abort/hold header?
H (fwd pwm) to 1 (Spn Dir)
F (fwd enable) to 3 (Spn En)

plus the following for power to the motor thru the controller<which I know will work are>:
J & K to the remote power supply
L & M to the motor leads

Any help is appreciated, what else did I miss?

thanks in advance!

Gus

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Can Spindle Pins control BTS7960 43A Motor Driver

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 12, 2020 10:32 pm

gus wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Are all the grounds the same (all constant ground for 2,4,10 & 12 on the protoneer 2.60)
Yes they are....

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Can Spindle Pins control BTS7960 43A Motor Driver

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 12, 2020 10:50 pm

gus wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:55 pm
Does it sound logical to try the following wiring if I believe the the 4 connections I NEED to hook up from the motor control to the protoneer are:
A (Gnd) to 2 (Gnd)
B (VCC) to 5v - should this come from the 5v near the abort/hold header?
H (fwd pwm) to 1 (Spn Dir)
F (fwd enable) to 3 (Spn En)

plus the following for power to the motor thru the controller<which I know will work are>:
J & K to the remote power supply
L & M to the motor leads
1 SPN Dir - 0V or 5V
3 SPN EN - PWM 0-5V

I think your H and F is the wrong way around. I would also check the Spn_DIR pin (M3/M4) voltage to ensure it goes to 5V with the GCode you are testing to enable the Spindle.

Other thing to think of is the S command with S1000 being 100% spindle power.

Example :
M3 S500

or

M4 S1000

and

M5 ; off