Establishing Communication with CNC Controller Through Serial Port

lucrobes

Establishing Communication with CNC Controller Through Serial Port

Post by lucrobes » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Protoneer V2.60 CNC HAT controller attached. This controller goes to 2 DM542A Micro-step Drivers.

I currently have the Raspberry Pi connected with the Protoneer controller but I am having issues getting the controller to communicate with the Pi. I have the Protoneer V4 image burned to the Pi and I am running the desktop executables "TestSerialPort", bCNC, and Minicom. Minicom will establish a connection to serial driver port : /dev/tty8 but not to the serial port: /dev/ttyAMAO. Then bCNC throws me an error report whenever I try and connect to a Serial Port at all /dev/tty8 or /dev/ttyAMAO.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to set up your serial connection between Raspberry Pi and your Protoneer board? Would really appreciate any recommendations about wiring to extrenal micro-steppers as well I have seen conflicting diagrams from some of the online sources.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Establishing Communication with CNC Controller Through Serial Port

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 12, 2020 11:24 pm

lucrobes wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am
Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Protoneer V2.60 CNC HAT controller attached. This controller goes to 2 DM542A Micro-step Drivers.

I currently have the Raspberry Pi connected with the Protoneer controller but I am having issues getting the controller to communicate with the Pi. I have the Protoneer V4 image burned to the Pi and I am running the desktop executables "TestSerialPort", bCNC, and Minicom. Minicom will establish a connection to serial driver port : /dev/tty8 but not to the serial port: /dev/ttyAMAO. Then bCNC throws me an error report whenever I try and connect to a Serial Port at all /dev/tty8 or /dev/ttyAMAO.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to set up your serial connection between Raspberry Pi and your Protoneer board? Would really appreciate any recommendations about wiring to extrenal micro-steppers as well I have seen conflicting diagrams from some of the online sources.
Did you run the RPI 3 configure script that is on the desktop?

That is needed for the comms to work