New user troubleshooting laser setup

jbwalker84

New user troubleshooting laser setup

Post by jbwalker84 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:12 am

Hey guys,

I am new to the raspberry pi/protoneer hat setup and I am trying to set up my laser to work with it. I have verified that I am getting 5v control on the spindle enable pin and the coolant pin (just to verify). Although I did notice with laser mode enabled, I don't get anything on the spindle enable pin. Looking at the CNC Shield discussions seems to indicate that the signal comes from another pin. But anyways that's not my issue.

I believe I have not connected the wiring properly. I basically have it connected in such a way that if the signal wire isn't even connected the laser still works with the manual push button turning it on at full power. I tried to put the black wire to the ground pin which left the fan running on the laser board but did not light up the laser or give any control. I noticed 6v across the spindle enable to the ground with that set up. I know its likely something minor that I'm doing wrong but it's got me stumped so far. I'm not much of an electrical/electronics guy, just learning.

Here's what I am using;

Raspberry pi 2 model b
Protoneer cnc hat 2.6
Sainsmart 5.5w (so they claim) Laser
GRBL 1.1 IIRC
running through bCNC

All I've got connected is the laser at the moment. Just trying to get PWM control of my laser before I swap everything over. I've been reading around through some of the other threads but so far I haven't been able to get my setup to work correctly yet.
Attachments
Laser setup wiring trouble shooting 3.jpg
Laser setup wiring trouble shooting 3.jpg (169.66 KiB) Viewed 36 times
Laser setup wiring trouble shooting 1.jpg
Laser setup wiring trouble shooting 1.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 36 times

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: New user troubleshooting laser setup

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 12, 2020 11:27 pm

jbwalker84 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:12 am
Hey guys,

I am new to the raspberry pi/protoneer hat setup and I am trying to set up my laser to work with it. I have verified that I am getting 5v control on the spindle enable pin and the coolant pin (just to verify). Although I did notice with laser mode enabled, I don't get anything on the spindle enable pin. Looking at the CNC Shield discussions seems to indicate that the signal comes from another pin. But anyways that's not my issue.
You also need to set the spindle speed...

Ex:

M3 S1000 ; sets it to 100% or 5V

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: New user troubleshooting laser setup

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 12, 2020 11:31 pm

jbwalker84 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:12 am
I believe I have not connected the wiring properly. I basically have it connected in such a way that if the signal wire isn't even connected the laser still works with the manual push button turning it on at full power. I tried to put the black wire to the ground pin which left the fan running on the laser board but did not light up the laser or give any control. I noticed 6v across the spindle enable to the ground with that set up. I know its likely something minor that I'm doing wrong but it's got me stumped so far. I'm not much of an electrical/electronics guy, just learning.
You definitely will have to ground it to the laser. 6v does concern me cause that is to high.