LinuxCNC to Step/Dir Pins

science

LinuxCNC to Step/Dir Pins

Post by science » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 am

Hi I was trying to get LinuxCNC's Parallel Port Output to send step/direction signals to the pin locations (X,Y,Z,A) on the CNC hat. I'm using DRV8825 drivers in the axis locations. I have my hardware setup working with another standalone CNC hat with BCNC and I just wanted to try another software GUI interface to drive the gantry I have.

I don't seem to be getting any motion out of any of the axes though. Is this setup possible? Or do those pins on the Hat not drive the step / direction of the drivers manually? Does the EN pin need to be used?
Last edited by science on Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: LinuxCNC to Step/Dir Pins

Post by Bertus Kruger » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:47 pm

science wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:19 am
Hi I was trying to get LinuxCNC's Parallel Port Output to send step/direction signals to the pin locations (X,Y,Z,A) on the CNC hat. I'm using DRV8825 drivers in the axis locations. I have my hardware setup working with another standalone CNC hat with BCNC and I just wanted to try another software GUI interface to drive the gantry I have.

I don't seem to be getting any motion out of any of the axes though. Is this setup possible? Or do those pins on the Hat not drive the step / direction of the drivers manually? Does the EN pin need to be used?
This might not work with the Raspberry pi CNC Hat. It has a Micro Controller built in that generates the signals with a command called GRBL.

You might be better of with the Arduino CNC shield but without the Arduino bit.