confused about external driver and wiring

ckoppenaal

Re: confused about external driver and wiring

Post by ckoppenaal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:40 pm

''You need to take the 5v from the rpi or you loses your reference and never know the voltage.''

I don't really understand what this means. The 5 volt power supply never changes. What do you mean by '' lose reference''?

Is this how you have it wired up? https://ibb.co/HBRW0zg

ckoppenaal

Post by ckoppenaal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:48 pm

I get some weird motor movement now.
Bcnc button: motor movement
Z+ : x- and A-
Z- : z+
Y-: A-
Y+:x-
X-:x-
X+: A+

The only thing I can think of with this is maybe you have your jumpers wrong for cloning the axis?

ljungberg

Post by ljungberg » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:29 pm

ckoppenaal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:48 pm

The only thing I can think of with this is maybe you have your jumpers wrong for cloning the axis?
Do you need jumpers if you have external drivers?

Besides the card I know I have wrong voltage due to the enable ports ist able to deliver enough power so I'm down to 3.95v.
And I dont know if I get some interference somehow, many in the cables.

ckoppenaal

Post by ckoppenaal » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:33 pm

ljungberg wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:29 pm
ckoppenaal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:48 pm

Do you need jumpers if you have external drivers?

Besides the card I know I have wrong voltage due to the enable ports ist able to deliver enough power so I'm down to 3.95v.
And I dont know if I get some interference somehow, many in the cables.
In your post above you mentioned A+ and A- a couple times, the only way to use the A axis is to clone it with another axis using jumpers on the back of the hat. You cant run (A) as an independent axis. Interference may be an issue, shielded cable is a must on all signal wires. How many motors are you using and do you have a separate driver for each motor?

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 am

ckoppenaal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:40 pm
''You need to take the 5v from the rpi or you loses your reference and never know the voltage.''

I don't really understand what this means. The 5 volt power supply never changes. What do you mean by '' lose reference''?

You only show +5V coming from the 5V supply, where does the other connection on the 5V supply go to? It needs to be connected to a common ground point on the controller i.e. pi or pi hat. If not, you won't be getting 5V on the stepper driver.
Regards
Geoff

ljungberg

Post by ljungberg » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:40 am

GeoffS wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:23 am
ckoppenaal wrote:

You only show +5V coming from the 5V supply, where does the other connection on the 5V supply go to? It needs to be connected to a common ground point on the controller i.e. pi or pi hat. If not, you won't be getting 5V on the stepper driver.
you are right, as i did know before and did mention to a few user (have posted in multipel forums).
the respons was the it will work. it did not and i know it from the beginning.
the bad voltage caused my problems and the rpi was not able to provide 5v+ without dropping voltage .
after inverting the signal and using rpi gnd it works.

the reward is canceled due to requirements not being met before i was able to solve it on my own.
TinyFactory did contribute with some information i have not seen posted online before and therefore solved a part of the problem.
TinyFactory will receive half of the reward, as only a part of the problem was solved.

a tutorial will be uploaded on Youtube in near future as thanks to the community

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:59 am

A simpler way to connect the stepper driver would be to connect the PUL- and DIR- to ground and the DIR+ and PUL+ to the direction and step pins on the pi hat. ENA pins do not need to be connected as the default for the driver is enabled. No 5V supply is needed in this case.
The stepper driver uses a photo-coupler for all signal connections and the current is rated at 10ma (typical) for each signal. A suitable 5V supply for the Pi should handle this.
This is the configuration used on the K40 Laser at my local maker space.
Regards
Geoff

ckoppenaal

Post by ckoppenaal » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:44 pm

GeoffS wrote:
ckoppenaal wrote:

That is how I have mine wired up and it works great?

ljungberg

Post by ljungberg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:25 am

ckoppenaal wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:44 pm
GeoffS wrote:
ckoppenaal wrote:

That is how I have mine wired up and it works great?
well you are lucky then. its probably one in a million.
its like this.
take a friend with you and stand in a steep hill.
you have a tank of water each with you.
its five meter high, this five meters of water can is known and can be measured at he bottom of the water tank.
if you walk upp the hill from your friend both will still have 5 meters of water pressure in their own water tank at the bottom of the tank.
now blind fold your friend, empty his tank and attach a garden hose at the bottom of each tank.
now if you walk up the hill the pressure in your friends tank will rise, if you walk bellow him it will be less.
only if you stand at the same high as your friend he will have 5 meter of water pressure.
its kind of the same your friend never knows if you are standing 20 meter above him or 2 bellow him.

i cant remember what or why this fenomen is called or precisely how it works.
i have at least a few books explaining it at home, but in my work this information is not needed, you only need to accept its true.

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 am

ljungberg wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:25 am

well you are lucky then. its probably one in a million.
its like this.
take a friend with you and stand in a steep hill.
you have a tank of water each with you.
its five meter high, this five meters of water can is known and can be measured at he bottom of the water tank.
if you walk upp the hill from your friend both will still have 5 meters of water pressure in their own water tank at the bottom of the tank.
now blind fold your friend, empty his tank and attach a garden hose at the bottom of each tank.
now if you walk up the hill the pressure in your friends tank will rise, if you walk bellow him it will be less.
only if you stand at the same high as your friend he will have 5 meter of water pressure.
its kind of the same your friend never knows if you are standing 20 meter above him or 2 bellow him.

i cant remember what or why this fenomen is called or precisely how it works.
i have at least a few books explaining it at home, but in my work this information is not needed, you only need to accept its true.
I fail to see how this is in any way relevant to the previous posts. What's the point you're trying to make here?
Regards
Geoff