Issues with Rpi-CNC + Jetson Nano or FTDI

nest

Issues with Rpi-CNC + Jetson Nano or FTDI

Post by nest » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:57 am

Hello,
I recently received 2 Protoneers board and can't wait to start using them :D My application does not involve a Raspberry Pi but a Jetson Nano (same 40 pins header). I'm running into a serial communication issue I can't understand, maybe someone here we'll be able to help me. Below are the steps I followed:

1. Test of the Jetson Nano UART: PC <> Sparkfun FTDI 3.3V <> Jetson Nano (JN) 40 pins header. I can successfully send and receive data between my PC and the JN.

2. Connection of the Protoneer to JN trough the 40 pins header. Boot-up and starts minicom with correct UART settings (115200 - 8N1). Commands from JN to Grbl are OK but feedback from Grbl to JN is corrupted. For example "$G" command outputs:

Code: Select all

[GC:G0\80T\D2T\8A:\E5M5 M9 \AC\98\AD5)\FF
instead of something like

Code: Select all

[GC:G0 G54 G17 G21 G90 G94 M0 M5 M9 T0 S0.0 F500.0]
. Needless to say bCNC can't connect to Grbl either as communication seems corrupted.

3. If I now try to use the FTDI of step 1 to have Jetson Nano <> Sparkfun FTDI 3.3V <> Rpi-CNC, data from Rpi-CNC is now correctly displayed (boot-up message) but I can't send and commands.

What am I missing? Thank you in advance :)

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Issues with Rpi-CNC + Jetson Nano or FTDI

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:29 pm

Few things to consider. The hat used 3.3V and 5V.

It has level shifters and UART is all done via 3.3V. On the GRBL side things are converted to 5V