using optical home switches

Mikeymp66

using optical home switches

Post by Mikeymp66 » Fri May 31, 2019 7:47 pm

Hello i would like to use optical home switches on my build but they are at 3,5 vdc open and 0vdc closed output i want to use 3 dual high /low relay boards to convert ttl to open close or on off. I have used one to convert ttl to on off and is fast and works well Can this work on the 2.60 board and be fast enough to work? Relays operate at 0 vdc low or 5vdc high i have used before and have an idea that they should work relays have no or nc outputs and when it goes high to low it will close and should open when it goes back high. kit is made by kits r us

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: using optical home switches

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Mikeymp66 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 7:47 pm
Hello i would like to use optical home switches on my build but they are at 3,5 vdc open and 0vdc closed output i want to use 3 dual high /low relay boards to convert ttl to open close or on off. I have used one to convert ttl to on off and is fast and works well Can this work on the 2.60 board and be fast enough to work? Relays operate at 0 vdc low or 5vdc high i have used before and have an idea that they should work relays have no or nc outputs and when it goes high to low it will close and should open when it goes back high. kit is made by kits r us
Mu concern would be the power supply that drives the relays. The CNC hat uses the RPI 5V supply and that does not have a lot of capacity as its designed for IO and not really for load.

Otherwise using a relay would work fine. GRBL needs a grounded signal by default to trigger an endstop

Mikeymp66

Re: using optical home switches

Post by Mikeymp66 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:17 pm

dual high low relays need 12vdc to operate i am using a modified atx power supply with plenty of 12vdc power and current to power everything in need in 12vdc plus up to 25 amps for 5 vdc will pull 5vdc power from 5vdc utility bus i will make and also power the pi. taking no power from pi at all for 5vdc use.