Drive question

erniehatt

Drive question

Post by erniehatt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm

As said earlier, I am rebuilding My CNC.
I am going with a 3D printer type design, I am not quite sure which way to go. The Y base plate is aluminium 380 X 280 X 5 mm, not that heavy, but you also have to allow for Material size and weight.
I am using Nema23 motors with TB6500 drivers, I would like to go with a single belt drive, but am not sure if this would be efficient enough.
I used threaded rods on the previous model but was not overly impressed with the outcome, hence the rebuild, the whole thing was way to heavy, the Y axis drove the whole workings, here it will be separate..
Any advice here would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Drive question

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:12 pm

erniehatt wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm
As said earlier, I am rebuilding My CNC.
I am going with a 3D printer type design, I am not quite sure which way to go. The Y base plate is aluminium 380 X 280 X 5 mm, not that heavy, but you also have to allow for Material size and weight.
I am using Nema23 motors with TB6500 drivers, I would like to go with a single belt drive, but am not sure if this would be efficient enough.
I used threaded rods on the previous model but was not overly impressed with the outcome, hence the rebuild, the whole thing was way to heavy, the Y axis drove the whole workings, here it will be separate..
Any advice here would be highly appreciated. Thanks
Lead screws work well and will deal with higher loads. They also have good mounting blocks.

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks Bertus,
Agree rods are a good method, but can be difficult to line up, especially if you are using two.
So I have made the decision to go with two belt drives, using 10mm wide belts, for the Y axis can't be any worse than what I already had.
One more question, can I drive two motors on the Z axis from the one TB6500 DRIVER, I can do this on the printer no problem using normal drivers. :?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:14 pm

erniehatt wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:58 pm
One more question, can I drive two motors on the Z axis from the one TB6500 DRIVER, I can do this on the printer no problem using normal drivers. :?
I can not see why not... ;)

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:47 am

Thanks Mate, let you know how it works out.

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:37 am

Regarding the driving two motors of the one driver.
Because the Z axis moves far less than the other two, I have made this support most of the weight.
The two motors have thread rod drives, I am wondering if this is going to work out OK.
Any advice on this will be most appreciated. :?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm

erniehatt wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:37 am
Regarding the driving two motors of the one driver.
Because the Z axis moves far less than the other two, I have made this support most of the weight.
The two motors have thread rod drives, I am wondering if this is going to work out OK.
Any advice on this will be most appreciated. :?
Threaded rod / lead screws are slow high torque setups. Friction also prevents the them from moving under weight. With two that doubles up the weigh you would be able to support.

The only issue with it, is that it decrease the speed because the stepper motors will need to micro step to prevent them from stalling.

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks Bertus,
I have decided to go with threaded rods for all axis's two for both the Z and the Y one for the X, so when you say it will decrease the speed will it also effect the other Axis.
What is the best setting for this, in the previous build I had it set to 1/16, but it was vert noisy, any suggestions.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:01 pm

erniehatt wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm
when you say it will decrease the speed will it also effect the other Axis.
Only the axes the lead screws will be slower. (They will likely use higher microstepping and that translates into much more steps to inch )