All I/O pins on the board. And descriptions..?

berin

All I/O pins on the board. And descriptions..?

Post by berin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 am

I'm considering this the beginning of a Manual for first timer setting up the board. All the data that will be generated via Q/A should help a lot of people. :) and me....
This photo show's the Pass through board(s) installed in there proper orientation for external motor drivers (HIGH POWER motor controllers like Gecko's). In the photo belowthe external driver boards pass the dir/step/en signals to the green sockets as shown. The 1 and 2 pin JPC jumpers labled x-y-z-a step/dir and EN (enable) all pass there signal to their axis. Enable is linked (parallel) to all enable headers. I soldered headers to my board in red. The red jpc connectors locations can be used instead of the ext driver board adapters and the green connectors if needed. I do not know if the protoneer step/dir enable are active HIGH or active LOW. If someone could answer that, that would be great. As to the pass though boards so we can use the green connectors. I do not know if they are active high or active low if someone could answer that question it would be great.

I2C:
GROVE 2MM 4PIN CONN 10PACK) 1597-1082-ND 1597-1083-ND one is the vertical and the other is the 90 degree version. These are from digikey. these are 100% compatible with the grove connector for the I2C on the RPI hat. And they are sold from digikey in packs of 10 for $1.5 USD
JUST REMEMBER these are 2mm not 2.5mm like standard PERF board. they will fit standard perf board but you have to bend the pins a little.

Unknown headers?:
On the board there are 3 headers A4 A6 AND A7. What are these pins for?

On my board in the photo I have colored Black and Red showing all ground pins and high power +v pin. When the board is being used as a pass though with no on board motor drivers.
If a POLOLU board is being used then the pinouts for the motor connectors changes to a+ a- b+ b- I do knot the exact connection as I have not found that info. if anyone knows and or could post a photo sowing it that would be great.
Attachments
20190209_191836.jpg
20190209_191836.jpg (271.75 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Last edited by berin on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: All I/O pins on the board. And descriptions..?

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:35 pm

berin wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:42 am
Unknown headers?:
Those are pin GRBL don't use. A6 and A7 are available on Arduino Nano boards but not on Arduino Uno boards.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm

berin wrote:
If a POLOLU board is being used then the pinouts for the motor connectors changes to a+ a- b+ b- I do knot the exact connection as I have not found that info. if anyone knows and or could post a photo sowing it that would be great.

+ and - does not really matter as it will just change the direction the motor moves in.

berin

Post by berin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:38 pm

For external motor controllers. Are the STEP/DIR pins and any other pins active HIGH or active LOW? Also is there a firmware build that has 4th axis control instead of mirror?

berin

Post by berin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Bertus Kruger wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:35 pm
berin wrote:
Unknown headers?:
Those are pin GRBL don't use. A6 and A7 are available on Arduino Nano boards but not on Arduino Uno boards.
Is the Protoneer RPI-cnc HAT based on an Arduino UNO yes or no? if it is then hay great, I have tons of arduino stuff. The nano board is on a totally different board so I dont know what to make of that statement.

""Those are pin grbl dont use??"" I have no idea what that means... What is the function of these 3, how are they being used? because they are only directly connected to the mega and nothing else, That being said then why are the via's on the board then if they are something not to touch etc... are they for software debugging? are those addresses being used in software?
MEGA328P A4=pin 27, A6=pin 18, A7=pin 22

Plus i'm still wondering about the last question I posted asking about if the board with external drivers is active high or active low? is it 5v or 3.3v for active high? or is it -5v or -3.3v for active low? And is there a firmware build that has the 4th axis as indipendent control instead of mirror? I've read a number of post's but never found a firmware. or details on exactly how to get it done.

stevedewater

Post by stevedewater » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:08 am

Berin : Do you have your pi and protoneer hat up and running? Your pass though board is configured differently than mine. I think it knocked out my pi, it won’t do nothing. Your board says “ext. drivers only” on the top of the board, mine is on the bottom of the board, with the Dir, Step, Enable, GRD oriented the same way yours is.

berin

Post by berin » Wed May 01, 2019 11:58 pm

Hi stevedewater sorry for long time between reply. I've moved on from the protoneer board due to some short comings that the MFG neglected to mention anywhere except for complaints on the forum, which would aid buyers so they would know before buying. As to the external board adapter, If you have the same adapter as I do and does not look like mind then I'm not really sure what to tell you other then. I dont know if you have a different version external adapter board. Or if you have the same board and just flipped the board over, if you have flipped the board over then chances are the opportunity for something bad to happen :S is there. Especially if the protoneer board had motor power plugged into it. Then again using an external motor controller board the protonner would require you NOT to populate the motor psu header because there are no motor controllers on the RPI protoneer hat. I can confirm to you that my photo with my external adapters is correct. I traced all of the pins to there respective traces.
If your PI is not booting I would suggest unplugging everything from it. Except for video and SD card and power it. If you get lights thats a good start. If it does nothing still then I would check the SD card or even dump a fresh image on to the sd card after backing data up if needed or use a new card. If it still does not boot then I would fear something may have happen'ed to your RPI. stevedewater as of me writing this I have not checked the protoneer RPI CNC wiki page but I'm going to assume non of the photos have been updated to show photos of the current adapter boards and there proper orientation like my photo. I started to put together a manual until I discovered issues with using the protoneer and the RPI. The issue conflicts with my setup and would require me to buy more hardware to provide a feature the RPI has on board but is disabled if using the protoneer.

berin

Post by berin » Thu May 02, 2019 12:21 am

STEVEDEWATER just an FYI in my photo the RED headers JST connectors are the same thing as using the external board adapters. They are the same signal just not passed to the big green screw terminals via the external motor controller adapter board. Just be aware you MUST connect a ground to use those signals.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 07, 2019 7:14 pm

berin wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:38 pm
For external motor controllers. Are the STEP/DIR pins and any other pins active HIGH or active LOW? Also is there a firmware build that has 4th axis control instead of mirror?
Active low...

Currently the standard GRBL firmware does not support more than 3 axis.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 07, 2019 7:15 pm

berin wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 pm
Is the Protoneer RPI-cnc HAT based on an Arduino UNO yes or no? if it is then hay great, I have tons of arduino stuff. The nano board is on a totally different board so I dont know what to make of that statement.
Yes... GRBL firmware needs Arduino UNO compatible boards.