Stepper driver stop working.

gstprecision

Stepper driver stop working.

Post by gstprecision » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:07 pm

I just finished my build and it worked fine at first but now I have a weird issue. When sending signal to Y or Z it will disable the steppers, either one or both.

I thought bad power or stepper but after some testing I believe it comes from the PI CNC. When I change the wiring to the X stepper the problem is now on the X and Z.

Is there any setting I should be checking for? Or the HAT i unserviceable?

Thanks
GST

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Stepper driver stop working.

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:31 am

Could it be a power supply issue or stepper driver?

gstprecision

Post by gstprecision » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:03 pm

That is what I originally thought. I did check the power supply and no problem there.

I swapped the X and Y axis stepper driver and all the wiring the problem stays on the Y and Z axis. And the X axis that was originally faulty is now working perfectly

I think there might be an over or under voltage and the driver protection kicks in. The blue communication light still show it is receiving signal but the green power light goes out.

Is there any way to test for the voltage and amp output?

gstprecision

Post by gstprecision » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:28 pm

Well after more testing I believe I found the issue. I was able to isolate the problem to 1 wire bundle.

I have the cable soldered in plug for quick disconnect of the machine and controller. After isolating each wire bundle I found which one was causing issue and when I checked I noticed one of the wire had a piece of solder touching the case of the plug. Trimmed and now everything seems fine. More testing should confirm this.

GST

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Good stuff!!