Trinamic Drivers

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Trinamic Drivers

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Ilja Rauhut wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:27 pm
Does the hat run with a raspberry pi 4?
Yes... we are just working on updating the pre-configured SD card image with the latest updates.

ckoppenaal

Post by ckoppenaal » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Bertus Kruger wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:46 pm
Ilja Rauhut wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:27 pm
Does the hat run with a raspberry pi 4?
Yes... we are just working on updating the pre-configured SD card image with the latest updates.
When you get the pre-configured SD card working can you list just the SD card on Ebay?

wimdb

Post by wimdb » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:57 am

@Ilja Rauhut

Hat seems to work with Pi 4. I’ll make a dedicated post.

sketchau

Post by sketchau » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread... but I have some thoughts for this.

TLDR: Make the Pi's GPIO's more accessible, either by removing a portion of the PCB for direct access, or break them out on the board with +5v LLC

I am looking to use the TMC5160 "step stick" drivers, as they can drive bigger currents than the 2130/2208/etc. But, I would like to SPI configure them.

My thought is to use the Pi to do the SPI communication - have a simple program that I can run on machine start up etc.

To do this, it would be great to break out the rest of the RPI GPIO pins to be accessible at the RPI CNC shield.

This might not mean actually bringing them through - another option might be to re-route some of the traces that are "above" the GPIO, and then mill/route the PCB so that above the GPIO is a void, allowing connections to be made directly to the GPIO pins. Alternatively, perhaps having a logic-level-shifted breakout on the RPI CNC to bring GPIO to +5v would be great.

This could have numerous benefits beyond just SPI configuration - I can now more easily access the Pi, and run software that somehow interracts with the PiHat. Perhaps I want to run a g-code sender that has some smarts? Add some additional sensors, read by the pi, and have it modify g-code, or otherwise interract with the machine. Whilst not strictly "real time", I could probably get close enough for CNC purposes to, say, add a home switch to each axis in addition to limit switches, or a plethora of other uses.

Mochanic

Post by Mochanic » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 am

sketchau wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 pm

TLDR: Make the Pi's GPIO's more accessible, either by removing a portion of the PCB for direct access, or break them out on the board with +5v LLC

I am looking to use the TMC5160 "step stick" drivers, as they can drive bigger currents than the 2130/2208/etc. But, I would like to SPI configure them.

My thought is to use the Pi to do the SPI communication - have a simple program that I can run on machine start up etc.

To do this, it would be great to break out the rest of the RPI GPIO pins to be accessible at the RPI CNC shield.

This might not mean actually bringing them through - another option might be to re-route some of the traces that are "above" the GPIO, and then mill/route the PCB so that above the GPIO is a void, allowing connections to be made directly to the GPIO pins. Alternatively, perhaps having a logic-level-shifted breakout on the RPI CNC to bring GPIO to +5v would be great.

This could have numerous benefits beyond just SPI configuration - I can now more easily access the Pi, and run software that somehow interracts with the PiHat. Perhaps I want to run a g-code sender that has some smarts? Add some additional sensors, read by the pi, and have it modify g-code, or otherwise interract with the machine. Whilst not strictly "real time", I could probably get close enough for CNC purposes to, say, add a home switch to each axis in addition to limit switches, or a plethora of other uses.
You and I are barking up the wrong tree... Nobody seems to care.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Mochanic wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:12 am
sketchau wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:23 pm

You and I are barking up the wrong tree... Nobody seems to care.
Its more of an manufacturing issue for not bring the rest of the Pi pins out. I hand solder the connector that slots into the Pi. Having to solder 40 pins vs 12 makes a huge difference.

There are a few options.

1. Expose all the Pi pins , but only solder the current header in 6x2. (Customer will have add more headers.)
2. expose all the Pi Pins and include a 6x2 and 20x2 header for the customer to solder. (Very few customers liked it when we started that way)
3. Expose the Pi pins, solder the 20x2 and add $7.5 to the price for the extra labor

Mochanic

Post by Mochanic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 pm

I personally would be more than happy to do the soldering myself. OR pay extra for the boards, BUT, I just bought your v2.6 board after waiting for way to long for you to release the next version. Which is fine, it never hurts to have to many controllers with all the projects I plan to build.

I just REALLY want to use Trinamic drivers!!! My problem is I do not understand what the difference is and what has to be done to use the. They do have a legacy mode that supposedly makes them universal just without some additional features. But it sure would be nice to know more about using them with this hat.

jffry7

Post by jffry7 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am

Mochanic wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 pm
I personally would be more than happy to do the soldering myself. OR pay extra for the boards, BUT, I just bought your v2.6 board after waiting for way to long for you to release the next version. Which is fine, it never hurts to have to many controllers with all the projects I plan to build.

I just REALLY want to use Trinamic drivers!!! My problem is I do not understand what the difference is and what has to be done to use the. They do have a legacy mode that supposedly makes them universal just without some additional features. But it sure would be nice to know more about using them with this hat.
I got the TMC2130 working using the video you posted earlier on this thread. I soldered another arduino mini to the SPI contact, I havent successfully got the endpoints working but the rest of what he tested on the video worked. I am in the process of upgrading to 5160. I tried to mix them 2 x 2130 and 1 5160 for the Z but somehow the 5160 didnt like the config..i havent gone thru the datasheet if there is a difference in command for the stealthchop2 or some other config...maybe ill change all of the to 5160 to test.

At the end of the day it would be nice to not need a separate arduino if it can be done natively with the board or the rpi.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:16 pm

jffry7 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 am
Mochanic wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:58 pm

I got the TMC2130 working using the video you posted earlier on this thread. I soldered another arduino mini to the SPI contact, I havent successfully got the endpoints working but the rest of what he tested on the video worked. I am in the process of upgrading to 5160. I tried to mix them 2 x 2130 and 1 5160 for the Z but somehow the 5160 didnt like the config..i havent gone thru the datasheet if there is a difference in command for the stealthchop2 or some other config...maybe ill change all of the to 5160 to test.

At the end of the day it would be nice to not need a separate arduino if it can be done natively with the board or the rpi.
Would the SPI connection be used all the time or only on setup?

jffry7

Post by jffry7 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:27 am

Bertus Kruger wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Would the SPI connection be used all the time or only on setup?
Only on setup, I did not enable any feature that would require it to be persistent. It would be nice if it can be done directly thru pi pinouts. I still havent tested the new TMC5150 to try the stealthchop2 too.