Using the CNC Shield with Arduino's Stepper Library

Please share your projects...
Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Using the CNC Shield with Arduino's Stepper Library

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:31 am

I have been asked this question a few times.

Using the Arduino Stepper Library(https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/Stepper) with CNC shield is not really possible. The Arduino Library uses a H-Bridge where as the CNC Shield uses Pololu Stepper Drivers(Much easier to work with).

All are not lost, we can still control the CNC Shield from Arduino by doing the following:

FatGut

Re: Using the CNC Shield with Arduino's Stepper Library

Post by FatGut » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:25 pm

Good Day

I have been searching for over a month to figure out why my steppers were just making noise and not actually turning using your CNC shield! I currently have my set up as follows:

(1) Raspberry Pi 2 running Raspbian Wheezy. Arduino 1.05 IDE

(2) Alamode for Raspberry

(3) Arduino CNC Shield V3.0 With DRV8825 Pololu stepper drivers

I just ran across this forum and have read your post on the CNC shield not working with the arduino stepper library!!! Wish that important info would have been put on your web site!!! I did not want to proceed any further with with grbl soft ware and or universal gcode sender until I knew the CNC shied worked....Well a month wasted. I'm totally new to this software/code stuff and TRYING to learn, while I take responsibility for all the time wasted searching google for help and answers (many of which were wrong), I do believe that as a manufacturer this should be POSTED on you website (*NOTE: NOT COMPATIBLE WITH STEPPER EXAMPLE IN ARDUINO IDE*). I have built quite a few Electronic projects all the way back to Heathkit but very few that involved software or code, Believe me I am in awe of all those who mastered and contributed code in open source for all of us to use! As for your product I do believe it is solid and well thought out , It does lack information other than here it is and this is how you assemble it. I will continue to learn and make new projects and have my fingers crossed that this corrects the issue.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations!

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Using the CNC Shield with Arduino's Stepper Library

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree that there needs to be more info available.

That is the main reason I started the forum.

As I get a better understanding of whats needed I will post more details but everyone is welcome to add their projects and tutorials.