Laser not firing in laserweb

erniehatt

Re: Laser not firing in laserweb

Post by erniehatt » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:36 am

I tried the first bit off code, and it did switch on and off the laser.
Several things I noticed about it, there There is no need to keep adding the M3 and 5, only necessary at the beginning, S0 etc is sufficient, as in the excerpt I added earlier, the extension I gave you does that for you.
The other thing I noticed was that the travel speed was excessive.
So I have established that the code is not the cause of the laser not switching on, so we must look further.
I checked in the config file and the spindle is automatically enabled, so we should have no need to look at that.
I would suggest checking your wiring.

Jasonpgr

Post by Jasonpgr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:38 am

That's so weird that it works on your machine and not mine... I didn't ad the M3 and 5, that's just how it came out of Inkscape. As long as it doesn't negatively effect it I wont worry too much about fiddling with those settings until I get the laser to power on. As for wiring, I'll attach pictures of my wiring, but it's not like there's all that many cables to worry about. Especially since I stuck a meter on the SPN EN ports and it doesn't ever even get the 5v signal required to turn on the laser in the first place.

You can see I have the steppers plugged in and they work great, I have the TTL wires from the laser plugged into the SPN EN ports on the board, and 12V is going into the power in area on the board from the power supply. The 12v power for the laser is connected directly to the power supply, and I have tested the ttl input on the laser itself by hooking it up to the 5v and gnd on the board and the laser fires right up when connected, and turns off as soon as the voltage goes back to 0. What are your GRBL settings? The ones that show up when you enter $$? maybe there's something in there that's keeping it from firing?

It seems to me like either my board is faulty, or there has to be some kind of setting that's causing it to not receive the signal needed to send 5v to the SPN EN pins.
IMG_4731.JPG
IMG_4731.JPG (449.83 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
IMG_1113.JPG
IMG_1113.JPG (229.71 KiB) Viewed 1389 times

Jasonpgr

Post by Jasonpgr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 am

Now I'm even more confused....... I entered in your sample Gcode manually and the laser fired right up. And now I've managed to export a couple different files out of inkscape that all seem to to be working fine. No idea what I did differently, or what changed, but all seems to be well now. One thing I did change was the PWM in inkscape from 255 up to 1000 since thats the max rpm in GRBl and as I suspected my laser got MUCH brighter when I did that. That also confirms whether or now I can dim my laser up and down for making cool graphics and raster images, and it seems like I will be able to. So all is well now I suppose.

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:08 am

Glad to hear it.
I have a question for you, where did you get the Laser module.
I bought one of these earlier in the piece which was supposed to be TTL, and it turned out to be not so, and I had to add another circuit.
Try it out and see if the laser power is changing.

Jasonpgr

Post by Jasonpgr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 am

Yep, looks like laser power is definitely changing. When I had it set to 255 it wasn't burning at all. Now I've got it at 1000 and I have to keep the laser moving at about 1000mm per second to keep the line nice and sharp while burning MDF. That or my steps per mm are way off, which is possible since i haven't checked that yet.

as for the laser, it was a random amazon impulse by from awhile ago and I just got around to making the rest of the unit so I could actually use it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7 ... UTF8&psc=1 is the link from where I got it. Not sure if you'll be able to see it, I pulled it up from my account history because it says no longer available.

Jasonpgr

Post by Jasonpgr » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:01 am

Another question if anyone has any feedback. I've been using this inkscape plugin with great results now that the laser is firing. But it seems to only be capable of a "cut" or generating a path for an outline. what about engraving a solid image? Like if I draw a square, it burns a line around the square, rather than filling in the whole square with a black burned out area. Idealy, I'd like to laser burn full images using halftones or something (I really don't know anything about working with images or photo editing) but I figure that since I have a variable laser, I should be able to burn actual photos in greyscale with little difficulty. Assuming I can find the correct software..... Suggestions?

StuartB

Post by StuartB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Try LaserGRBL. It's completely free and generates the GCode depending on the settings you choose.
Greyscale, Solid or Outline Burning.
http://lasergrbl.com/en

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:22 am

StuartB wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm
Try LaserGRBL. It's completely free and generates the GCode depending on the settings you choose.
Great software but only works with Windows. You get my vote if you can get it going on a Pi :)
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:28 am

Jasonpgr wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:39 am
Now I've got it at 1000 and I have to keep the laser moving at about 1000mm per second to keep the line nice and sharp while burning MDF. That or my steps per mm are way off, which is possible since i haven't checked that yet.
That is really fast. I suspect that is 1000 steps/mm.
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:04 am

gmoney484 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:22 am
StuartB wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm
Great software but only works with Windows. You get my vote if you can get it going on a Pi :)
True I used it to generate gcode which I loaded into both BCNC and UGS and it did not work.