V3 Board +grbl 1.1f

willower

V3 Board +grbl 1.1f

Post by willower » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:03 am

Has anyone managed to get a spindle motor relay hooked up successfully to this Chinese board when using grbl 1.1f?

I have tried but can't seem to get the right settings to 'trigger' the relay. Seems that most advice is to use the Z+ pin on the board as the output to enable the relay (Pin 11of Arduino?) I find that this enables the relay all the time - no program file loaded at all. I have also tried connecting it via the SpnDir pin but the same thing happens, relay engaged all the time.

Everything else works fine, limit switches, E-Stop Hold, restore etc, so I find it odd that I can't seem to get the spindle under control.

Any ideas anybody?

willower

gmoney484

Re: V3 Board +grbl 1.1f

Post by gmoney484 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:04 am

Isn't the v3 shield only compatible with GRBL 0.8 ?

Also pin 11 of the Arduino has an internal pullup resistor - this would be why the relay is always on.
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

willower

Post by willower » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:47 pm

OK everyone, I seem to have found a way to do this now. Although I said previously that I had tried the SpnDir pin to trigger my spindle relay without success, I have since discovered that I have to 'tell' the grbl OS that it has to switch this trigger pin on - by including a M3 command using the Post Processor when it compiles the gCode for whatever file I am sending to the cnc. I actually use the Post Processor from Vectric 2D and modifying that wasn't too difficult and I also included a M4 command at the end of the file to stop the spindle when the program completes.

Very happy that this now works well although I have already ordered a v3.5 shield from Protoneer - mainly because this latest version has among other things, better circuitry around the limit switch operation. The v3 Chinese version I am running at the moment is very flaky when it comes to the homing routine. The Y axis very often stops before reaching the limit switch - due mainly (I think) to noise in the system. I don't have shielded cables which doesn't help I suppose.

This has been a whole new ballgame for me usin grbl, I do have a larger CNC which runs under Mach3 and a HobbyCNC Controller which I put together about 5 years ago. I'll just say that there is a world of difference between the two different systems with very little overlap between them!

Hopefully a picture illustrates where I am with this now - and I hope it may help someone else a little....

willower
Attachments
3018_grbl.JPG
My Wiring setup using a v3.0 Chinese clone and grbl 1.1f
3018_grbl.JPG (105.88 KiB) Viewed 4240 times

Simon86

Post by Simon86 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:58 am

Hello my Name is Simon,

(first Post, sorry for my bad English)
I has the same Problem. I can´t test it at the moment, my CNC is @my office.

Next week i will try the same.

you can edit the Config.h file to change Pinout.
(i will try to change the line 211

// #define INVERT_SPINDLE_ENABLE_PIN // Default disabled. Uncomment to enable. to
#define INVERT_SPINDLE_ENABLE_PIN // Default disabled. Uncomment to enable.

and change the line 339

#define VARIABLE_SPINDLE // Default enabled. Comment to disable. to
// #define VARIABLE_SPINDLE // Default enabled. Comment to disable. )

http://blog.inventables.com/2014/06/sha ... -with.html

arlaor

Post by arlaor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:26 pm

willower wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:47 pm
OK everyone, I seem to have found a way to do this now. Although I said previously that I had tried the SpnDir pin to trigger my spindle relay without success, I have since discovered that I have to 'tell' the grbl OS that it has to switch this trigger pin on - by including a M3 command using the Post Processor when it compiles the gCode for whatever file I am sending to the cnc. I actually use the Post Processor from Vectric 2D and modifying that wasn't too difficult and I also included a M4 command at the end of the file to stop the spindle when the program completes.

Very happy that this now works well although I have already ordered a v3.5 shield from Protoneer - mainly because this latest version has among other things, better circuitry around the limit switch operation. The v3 Chinese version I am running at the moment is very flaky when it comes to the homing routine. The Y axis very often stops before reaching the limit switch - due mainly (I think) to noise in the system. I don't have shielded cables which doesn't help I suppose.

This has been a whole new ballgame for me usin grbl, I do have a larger CNC which runs under Mach3 and a HobbyCNC Controller which I put together about 5 years ago. I'll just say that there is a world of difference between the two different systems with very little overlap between them!

Hopefully a picture illustrates where I am with this now - and I hope it may help someone else a little....

willower
Hi
Do you have any files with the modifications you made to work your shield V3.0 with grbl 1.1?
Or is there a guide or video that you have made with step by step to make it work?
thanks