Powering Arduino form CNC shield

andrewsleigh

Powering Arduino form CNC shield

Post by andrewsleigh » Thu May 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Hi,
I'm trying to use this board to make a camera slider (one axis, one stepper motor at the moment) Once the code/build is finished, it will need no connection to a computer - ie no USB cable. So I want to have one power supply for the project.

I know that I can power an A4988 board (without using the CNC shield) from the VIN on the Arduino. Can I do it the other way round? ie supply 12V to the CNC shield, which is then passed to the Arduino via it's 12V-in circuit? I don't see any pins for this, and I know that if I was using 36V or similar, it would fry my Arduino, but I think that my use case is safe.

I've also tried powering the Arduino by its 12V in (and not wiring up any power directly to the shield), but this power doesn't seem to be shared with the CNC shield – unless I'm missing something...

Thanks if anyone can shed any light on this...

Andrew

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Powering Arduino form CNC shield

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun May 26, 2019 7:19 pm

The Shield only uses 5V for logic.

To link the Arduino power with the shield you will need to connect the VIN pin on the arduino with the Shields power + .

Like you said, keep the voltage below what the Arduino can handle or it will get electrocuted.

andrewsleigh

Post by andrewsleigh » Sun May 26, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks. I don't see any pins for that. Do you mean literally, just stick a jumper wire between the + screw terminal and VIN on the Arduino?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun May 26, 2019 7:51 pm

Yes... The VIN on the board is what feeds the Arduino regulator.

https://shop.evilmadscientist.com/productsmenu/564 look at the power section