Newbie and limitswitches

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
marcwolf

Newbie and limitswitches

Post by marcwolf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:46 am

Hi Folks.
Equipment Open C-Beam CNC machine, Arduino UNO, Protoneer 3.51 shield, TB6600 stepper drivers, NO Limit Sitches

I am pretty used to my 3D printer using limit switches, and on my new CNC machine I likewise installed them. And I can control my CNC machine by moving the axis's as required.

However I just cannot stop my CNC machine go past the level witches without stopping. I know I can set them to '$G21=1' but then I get a hard stop requiring resetting etc.

Can anyone give me some pointers on what to do. I have checked everything electrically and it works.. Just cannot work out the software settings.

Many thanks
Dave

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Newbie and limitswitches

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:16 pm

$21=1 is needed to turn limit switches on.

soft limits might be of use... https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Grbl- ... ts-boolean

marcwolf

Post by marcwolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:56 pm

$21 turn on hard limits which triggers an ALARM which has to be reset. Not a warning.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:21 pm

This is how GRBL operates....

Activate an enstop and an Alarm gets raised. If you have soft limits on and send a command that is beyond the max it will also alarm but not move there.

Once an Alarm has been raised its likely the system will need to be restarted as GRBL does not assume anything or try to recover.