Proma SD, wiring for plasma THC

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
polemidis

Proma SD, wiring for plasma THC

Post by polemidis » Wed May 02, 2018 10:37 am

Hello guys I need some help. I believe I researched all that I could do but I couldn't find the answer.

I am building a plasma CNC, and got the proma SD thc, http://proma-elektronika.com/download/PDF/thcsd_en.pdf
From its manual it says that it gets the step/dir signal for the Zmotor as input from the controller, and if it senses that it needs to interfere it outputs the corrected step/dir signal to the motor. Else it just leaves the signal to reach the motor without doing anything.

My question is how to wire this in my board! It sounded pretty easy when I ordered it , but now I am stuck! I noticed the cnc shield has a 6/2 pin layout at top left and I believe this is for output for external stepper drivers, not as input correct?

More specifically, if someone has time to take a look at the proma sd manual above, I believe I need to connect the 1A/2A from the Z stepper connector from the cnc shield to the Proma step/dir input, the Proma step/dir output to the Z motor coils. But then how and where the other two leads from the motor coils? To the ground of the Proma and back to the ground on the cnc shield? What about the 1B/2B wires on the cnc shield?

Plz help me, everything else is setup! I am in project overflow mode. I bet I am missing something very obvious!

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Proma SD, wiring for plasma THC

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun May 06, 2018 7:25 pm

polemidis wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:37 am
My question is how to wire this in my board! It sounded pretty easy when I ordered it , but now I am stuck! I noticed the cnc shield has a 6/2 pin layout at top left and I believe this is for output for external stepper drivers, not as input correct?

More specifically, if someone has time to take a look at the proma sd manual above, I believe I need to connect the 1A/2A from the Z stepper connector from the cnc shield to the Proma step/dir input, the Proma step/dir output to the Z motor coils. But then how and where the other two leads from the motor coils? To the ground of the Proma and back to the ground on the cnc shield? What about the 1B/2B wires on the cnc shield?

Plz help me, everything else is setup! I am in project overflow mode. I bet I am missing something very obvious!
This diagram is very useful...
THC.png
THC.png (136.55 KiB) Viewed 91 times
I take it you have the previous version of the CNC hat like below?
THC2.jpg
THC2.jpg (135.95 KiB) Viewed 91 times
The pins in the left top are what you are after. You need 3 lines that go from the hat. Z Step , Z Dir and Gnd.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun May 06, 2018 7:27 pm

with the above you also do not need a stepper driver for the Z axis because that is what you Proma Sd is actually doing.

Ernesto2

Post by Ernesto2 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:51 am

I'm pretty sure that the Proma SD just sends signal level outputs that need to go to the inputs of a stepper driver. The THC 150 compact sends up down signals to Mach3 or Linux CNC and then the program controls the z output. With the SD model, it looks for an arc and takes over direct control of the z axis stepper driver until the arc is extinguished then closes the connection to allow direct communication between the cnc board and the z axis stepper.

Ernesto2

Post by Ernesto2 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:02 am

If you're using the polulu onboard drivers, it looks like you'll need to break the step/dir signal path before it gets to the driver, send the mcu step/dir outputs to the Proma SD and connect the Proma outputs to the polulu step/dir inputs. Bertus would have a better idea of where to tie into the circuit than I would though.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Ernesto2 wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:02 am
If you're using the polulu onboard drivers, it looks like you'll need to break the step/dir signal path before it gets to the driver, send the mcu step/dir outputs to the Proma SD and connect the Proma outputs to the polulu step/dir inputs. Bertus would have a better idea of where to tie into the circuit than I would though.
If that is the case and that the Proma SD does not have an actual stepper driver built in I would go with and external stepper driver.

Ernesto2

Post by Ernesto2 » Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 pm

That's what I did with my standalone THC and it was pretty easy. If using the onboard drivers is the desired option, I was thinking that OP could intercept the stepper connections by removing the pins at the sockets and using some shielded cables to interface with the SD. I've been hacking up USB cables like crazy lately! :lol:

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed May 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Ernesto2 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:23 pm
I've been hacking up USB cables like crazy lately! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: