Stand alone use of Arduino CNC shield.

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
Richard S

Stand alone use of Arduino CNC shield.

Post by Richard S » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi, I am using the Arduino shield on 2 projects and am very happy with them. I did not realise I was buying clones of your intellectual property and will donate to your cause, $40 dollars. I would like to use the shield as a stand alone diver board with the Masso integrated controller as it is compact and correctly sized for the application but Masso offers a more adaptable interface. I tried this in the past and had it work but for the life of me I cannot remember how I achieved it. Has anyone in the group had experience with this concept and if they had a wiring diagram I would be most grateful. I cannot get my head around the differential outputs from the Masso and how to connect it to the shield. I have tried lots of configs but none work. I think, Mr Moderator that many people would be interested in this concept as it is a really neat way to integrate, on a small scale a driver board into a small low power CNC project. Richard

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Stand alone use of Arduino CNC shield.

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Richard S wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:16 pm
Hi, I am using the Arduino shield on 2 projects and am very happy with them. I did not realise I was buying clones of your intellectual property and will donate to your cause, $40 dollars.
Thanks for the donation. ;)

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Stand alone use of Arduino CNC shield.

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 pm

Richard S wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:16 pm
I would like to use the shield as a stand alone diver board with the Masso integrated controller as it is compact and correctly sized for the application but Masso offers a more adaptable interface.
First time seeing the Masso. Very nice product...

Masso connection:
https://masso.com.au/masso-documentatio ... on-title-1

For the CNC Shield:

Example of Connecting the X axis.

Masso Pin 1 (Step) : CNC Shield Top, second row, left Pin (Step)
Masso Pin 2 (Step GND) : CNC Shield Top Right Pin (GND)
Masso Pin 3 (DIR) : CNC Shield Top, second row, right Pin (Dir)
Masso Pin 4 (DIR GND) : CNC Shield Top Right Pin (GND)

CNC shield will also need 5v to the bottom left pin. (gnd to the bottom right pin)
The Pololu drivers on the CNC shield will also need powering.