Case, final version

Mochanic

Re: Case, final version

Post by Mochanic » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:52 am

Ok guys, sorry it took so long!
Here is the link to my updated final release Pi/Protoneer case with details on what you will need. Please do not share this outside of the Protoneer forum, I have spent a very long time designing and perfecting this!

http://www.hughlett.net/Pi%20Case.zip (This is my personal FTP site, I assure you it is safe!)
Please feel free to ask any questions and make sure to read the readme file FIRST!

ukracer

Post by ukracer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:06 pm

I notice in the JPG of the wiring there are connectors on the Top of the protoneer hat.

Where would I find documentation on the connections these provide.
Many thanks for your hard work on the case.

Are you running a Pi3 now or upgraded to Pi 4??

regards Andy T

Mochanic

Post by Mochanic » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:53 pm

Those are just simple and very common 2.54mm header pin connectors. I use 1pc 2x3 and 1pc 2x5 along with 90 degree double row pin headers. You can get these just about anywhere with and without wire already attached to the connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=2.54+header+ ... Caps%2C183 (or search your favorite site for "2.54 header pin"

You will find this info in the for the case connectors in the Readme file that is included in the zipped folder but here it is again.
8 pin JST XH connector: https://www.amazon.com/2-54MM-Female-Si ... B073169RL5

Yes I use a pi 3B+ which is far more than enough for my cnc laser. It would however be pretty easy to modify this case to fit a version 4, but I do not have one to use for measuring and making the needed changes if any.

ukracer

Post by ukracer » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Thanks for the updated info.
I think I found the additional information on the pins that I needed.
The info is related to GRBL and the disabling of pull up resistors on the Protoneer.

By the way I printed the case out twice and both times the center 3 window vents broke off during printing in a strange way. The rest printed perfectly. I will post a photo in the morning and test the Pi 4 in it. ;)

Regards Andy T

ukracer

Post by ukracer » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Update. Checked out the Pi4 fitting and there are minor problems. I f you would like to send me the fusion file I could mess about sorting it to fit the Pi 4.
Essentially the charging/data port has been changed to USB C
The HDMI ports seems to now be 2 smaller ports. I am guessing still HDMI but why you need 2 I am not sure. Lol
Quite why both prints snapped the same verticals of I just don't have a clue.

I can't add photos as it says the board attachment quota has been reached :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1ehezv9b8qnd ... 5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/t/sdo5KupvC2KAleiY This link will expire in 6 days time..

Mochanic

Post by Mochanic » Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:38 pm

Looks like you have a printer or filament issue. What material did you use? Maybe you need to print a little hotter so they have better layer adhesion?
That has never happened to me in the many different times I have printed the case. (I had to do this multiple times to get everything absolutely perfect)

I did not use Fusion to design this case. But I do plan to get a Pi 4 soon and I can then make some minor changes to fit it to the case. When I do this I will also thicken the cooling holes to make them stronger. (Actually let me see if there is a Pi 4 model available that I can use and I can do this asap)

ukracer

Post by ukracer » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Mochanic wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:38 pm
Looks like you have a printer or filament issue. What material did you use? Maybe you need to print a little hotter so they have better layer adhesion?
That has never happened to me in the many different times I have printed the case. (I had to do this multiple times to get everything absolutely perfect)

I did not use Fusion to design this case. But I do plan to get a Pi 4 soon and I can then make some minor changes to fit it to the case. When I do this I will also thicken the cooling holes to make them stronger. (Actually let me see if there is a Pi 4 model available that I can use and I can do this asap)
Quite easilly lol...Its a new colour to me and I have only just reset the end stop and not tweaked anything as yet. It was more to see how far out it was. It was just PLA by the way.

I will try one in ABS PRO as I know that prints mints. It just surprised me how all 3 came out both times neat as a whistle. lol

What do you use to design then?

That would be very kind of you I will print it to test it for you if you get one done.. Its certainly not far away except for the fact they have gone with 2 small sockets instead of one large. And the USB C is slightly larger that Mini USB.

Regards Andy T

Mochanic

Post by Mochanic » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:16 pm

I found a few models on grabcad, but they are not perfect. When I overlay one onto the Pi3b that I know fits like a glove (and that I personally measured to make sure they are right) several things don't line up that should. Really hard to say what all has been moved without having a real unit in my hands to go by.
1. The I/O pins are off slightly
2. The 3.5mm port is off.
I also noticed that they swapped the USB and LAN ports around too, so it will need a new end cap which is pretty easy to make.

I use Sketchup. Still by far my favorite for ease of use and best software I have found for STL's and 3D printing.

Couldn't get the attachment to work so here is a link to the picture of the 2 boards overlaid http://www.hughlett.net/Pi%203-4%20Overlays.png

ukracer

Post by ukracer » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:43 pm

Ah AH I never noticed that as I just turned the end cap round. I was not sure what the large round hole was for but I can now see it might be obstructed by the driver boards or driver link boards

Mochanic

Post by Mochanic » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Is there any particular reason that you want to use a Pi4 vs the 3B+? I have yet to have any issues with the 3B+ in any projects and they are cheaper too.