Connected but no movement

Robert harmon

Connected but no movement

Post by Robert harmon » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:21 am

I have the rpi3 with the v2.6 hat. I'm using a 24v 15a supply, dm542s drivers and nema 23 steppers. I want to figure out how to setup the electronics before I start building the cnc but I'm not getting any movement.

I put a fresh copy of the 4.10 image on a 16gb card and ran the serial config. After the reboot I open minicom and change the serial port from tty8 to ttyAMAO. I then hit save as default and exit into minicom. I hit "?" and I get the machine coordinates. I then close minicom and open bcnc, select ttyAMAO and 115200 and it connects. Motor has holding torque but I cannot jog the motor around.

I am pretty sure motor wiring is good. I verified the diagram it came with by connecting pairs to get increased resistance. I have enable + to enable on the hat. Enable - not connected. Dir - and pulse - are connected to gnd. Pulse+ to step and Dir+ to Dir.

I'm sure I'm missing something and I keep going around in circles trying to figure this out so I very much appreciate any advise!

Also, I thought it would be nice to be able to see the signals coming out of the hat and I remember reading a post somewhere on here mentioning using LED's. Has anyone made something like that?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Connected but no movement

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:24 am

This feels like the stepping pin is not working. The enable pin will ensure that the coils are powered up like you said and if there was an issue with the stepper going in only one direction it would be the direction pin.

you can put and led with inline current resistor on the stepping pin if you want to test it. Only issue is that stepping signals are very quick and the lef might only dim a bit bit won't be bright.

Robert harmon

Post by Robert harmon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:41 am

Thanks for the reply! I got it sorted out and everything is working perfectly now. I initially used a picture from another post showing the orientation of the external driver board. Looking at the board with the grove connector on top, I had the external boards mounted from left to right as dir, step, enable, gnd. After checking it with a multi-meter I realized I had the boards mounted backwards. I also think I remember reading in the wiki that the enable box should line up with the en on the board. After flipping the external drivers over and looking at the back side it makes sense now.

I'm really excited about getting started building the machine! Thanks for designing this awesome board!

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm

Good stuff... ;)