Weird external driver issues

X35 Design

Weird external driver issues

Post by X35 Design » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:16 am

I bought 3 tb6560 drivers to use with my CNC hat. I have them wired correctly as far as I know, but they will not move the steppers. If I jog in one direction, it just hums/whines, and if I jog in the other direction, it just makes one 'clunk' and does nothing more.

Here is a quick video I made:
https://youtu.be/J_Rhh-xC1YQ

X35 Design

Re: Weird external driver issues

Post by X35 Design » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:24 am

Ricsalop

Post by Ricsalop » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 am

re external drivers:
I've just followed the wiring back with the thought that I could take the step and direction direct from the board it turns out the the output screw terminals are (reading left to right, with the terminals are the bottom of the board, screws up) direction, step, enable, ground. I had them wired Ground, enable, step, direction. I had the same problems as you, now my drivers seem to work (Wantai DQ542) the previous TB6600s still dont work though!

X35 Design

Post by X35 Design » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:00 am

So you're saying that the Protoneer 2.6 board if I'm looking at the top, (where the writing is)

it goes Dir/step/enable/ground for each the terminal block when I'm using the external driver adapters?

See ascii art:

|--------------------------------------|
|--Protoneer 2.60 |
|ground ground ground ground |
|enable enable enable enable |
|step step step step |
|blank blank blank blank |
|dseg dseg dseg dseg |

Is that how it should be wired?

Ricsalop

Post by Ricsalop » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 am

Yes, suprised me, please feel free to check I would like a second opinion. But my meter says that with the red external driver board in place the left hand screw terminal is connected directly to the solder-in hole marked dir., just above the pinouts for the onboard drivers, as is the step, enable and ground respectively. The 542 external drivers connected this way round now work correctly.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:49 pm

New with Raspberry Pi CNC Hat 2.6

Old:

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Ricsalop wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 am
Yes, suprised me, please feel free to check I would like a second opinion. But my meter says that with the red external driver board in place the left hand screw terminal is connected directly to the solder-in hole marked dir., just above the pinouts for the onboard drivers, as is the step, enable and ground respectively. The 542 external drivers connected this way round now work correctly.
Is the above of amy help?

Ricsalop

Post by Ricsalop » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi Bertus, Are you just shouting at me now or have you checked this? please humour me and get you meter out , the left pin is connected to the solder in just above the sockets with your bridge board in place, honest!

marti

Post by marti » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:41 am

Hi, I can confirm what Ricsalop said - when looking from the top, with the wires pointing towards you - the correct orientation is (from left to right): 1) Direction, 2) Step, 3) Enable, 4) Ground.
The photo on the instruction is at least misleading.

I was lucky to stumble across this forum post here after 1,5 days desperately searching for what is wrong with my setup, checking and trying everything.
After connecting the wires the other way around, voila - everything worked.
Good thing I didn't fry my stepper drivers (closed loop external drivers).

X35 Design

Post by X35 Design » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:20 pm

I found this to be the case on my 2.60 hat as well after quite a bit of trial/error/swearing.

Perhaps this is because I'm using the external socket connectors from my old 2.58 hat which I fried, on my new 2.60?

(from left to right): 1) Direction, 2) Step, 3) Enable, 4) Ground.

Bonus (?) I now have an extra set of motor drivers, as I thought the ones I was trying before were defective...