Establishing Communication with CNC Controller Through Serial Port

lucrobes

Establishing Communication with CNC Controller Through Serial Port

Post by lucrobes » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Protoneer V2.60 CNC HAT controller attached. This controller goes to 2 DM542A Micro-step Drivers.

I currently have the Raspberry Pi connected with the Protoneer controller but I am having issues getting the controller to communicate with the Pi. I have the Protoneer V4 image burned to the Pi and I am running the desktop executables "TestSerialPort", bCNC, and Minicom. Minicom will establish a connection to serial driver port : /dev/tty8 but not to the serial port: /dev/ttyAMAO. Then bCNC throws me an error report whenever I try and connect to a Serial Port at all /dev/tty8 or /dev/ttyAMAO.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to set up your serial connection between Raspberry Pi and your Protoneer board? Would really appreciate any recommendations about wiring to extrenal micro-steppers as well I have seen conflicting diagrams from some of the online sources.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Establishing Communication with CNC Controller Through Serial Port

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue May 12, 2020 11:24 pm

lucrobes wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am
Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with a Protoneer V2.60 CNC HAT controller attached. This controller goes to 2 DM542A Micro-step Drivers.

I currently have the Raspberry Pi connected with the Protoneer controller but I am having issues getting the controller to communicate with the Pi. I have the Protoneer V4 image burned to the Pi and I am running the desktop executables "TestSerialPort", bCNC, and Minicom. Minicom will establish a connection to serial driver port : /dev/tty8 but not to the serial port: /dev/ttyAMAO. Then bCNC throws me an error report whenever I try and connect to a Serial Port at all /dev/tty8 or /dev/ttyAMAO.

Can anyone offer some advice on how to set up your serial connection between Raspberry Pi and your Protoneer board? Would really appreciate any recommendations about wiring to extrenal micro-steppers as well I have seen conflicting diagrams from some of the online sources.
Did you run the RPI 3 configure script that is on the desktop?

That is needed for the comms to work

mas3rat1

Post by mas3rat1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:59 am

I was wondering if there is anything else you suggest doing? I still have issues when I run the RPI3 configure script. It cannot establish any connection to the /dev/ttyAMA0 port. I have also tried enabling serial for hardware interface in the raspi-config.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 pm

mas3rat1 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:59 am
I was wondering if there is anything else you suggest doing? I still have issues when I run the RPI3 configure script. It cannot establish any connection to the /dev/ttyAMA0 port. I have also tried enabling serial for hardware interface in the raspi-config.
Using the provided SD card image and running the RPI3/4 serial config is all that is needed to get it going.

If its not going there might be an firmware issue on the RPI CNC hat or and hardware issue.

Another test to check if serial is working is to put a jumper on RX and TX on the RPI. This causes a loop back that will echo what ever you send it via serial.

dhouze01

Post by dhouze01 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:54 am

i am having trouble getting the cncjs-master file/image to write to the sd card so it will boot the pi. using a pi 3b and the version 2.60 hat. how do i save as an image not just a directory of files?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 pm