Pi 4B no serial

WZ9V

Pi 4B no serial

Post by WZ9V » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:36 pm

I installed the hat on a pi 4B and booted up with the latest Raspbian desktop OS with SSH enabled.

Using SSH, I ran raspi-config and turned off the serial console and enabled serial. No GRBL status with minicom (ttyAMA0)

I tried the conmmands for the pi 3B+ from Github and still no status in minicom.

Any other tricks to try?

I want to get serial sorted out with minicom before moving on to the other software.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Pi 4B no serial

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:29 pm

WZ9V wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:36 pm
I installed the hat on a pi 4B and booted up with the latest Raspbian desktop OS with SSH enabled.

Using SSH, I ran raspi-config and turned off the serial console and enabled serial. No GRBL status with minicom (ttyAMA0)

I tried the conmmands for the pi 3B+ from Github and still no status in minicom.

Any other tricks to try?

I want to get serial sorted out with minicom before moving on to the other software.
This is the main script that should configure the serial...
https://github.com/Protoneer/RPI-CNC-Co ... -Config.sh

I am working on an update RPi 4 image that should do this automatically.

wimdb

Post by wimdb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:50 am

Pi 4 uses a different serial port on the pins for serial communication with the CNC-hat: ttyS0 instead of ttyAMA0.
Try starting minicom this way: minicom -D /dev/ttyS0
Next the command ctrl-X should give you the grbl-message: Grbl 1.1f [‘$’ for help]

I use bCNC and faced one other issue with ttyS0 It is not recognized automatically by bCNC. You have to manually change the port parameter in the .bCNC config file: port = /dev/ttyS0

Good luck.

LDraghi

Post by LDraghi » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 pm

I subscribded to the forum to ask if there was some script installing the software bundle, and doing the settings (I was not aware of the GitHub).
And to know how to get this ***** serial line working.
Both answers are here!

I just noticed in the github repo that the setup script in the root dir is not up to date with the various scripts in the scripts dir.
I suppose your working on it.
I runned the 000 to 999 scripts manually. I had to move some of the installed dir from /root to /home/pi, and to chgrp/chown accordingly, but I now have a link with grbl.
A big step forward!

Any other hints regarding PI4 , before I move on?

Thanks,

Lionel

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 pm

LDraghi wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:45 pm
I subscribded to the forum to ask if there was some script installing the software bundle, and doing the settings (I was not aware of the GitHub).
And to know how to get this ***** serial line working.
Both answers are here!

I just noticed in the github repo that the setup script in the root dir is not up to date with the various scripts in the scripts dir.
I suppose your working on it.
I runned the 000 to 999 scripts manually. I had to move some of the installed dir from /root to /home/pi, and to chgrp/chown accordingly, but I now have a link with grbl.
A big step forward!

Any other hints regarding PI4 , before I move on?

Thanks,

Lionel
I am on/off working on the scripts and will make a release once the scripts are completed and tested.

I have had many requests to get laserweb going but still finding it hard to do so.

revspete

Post by revspete » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm looking at using the cnc hat with a RPI4, when do you expect the new image to be available?
Thanks

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:23 pm

Looks like you should not hold your breath on this one

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:22 pm

I have tested most of the software, but laser-web is just an pain. the lastest version does not seem to work at all..

https://github.com/LaserWeb/LaserWeb4/issues/581