Connecting Arduino Nano-ARM to 5V pressure sensor

terry

Connecting Arduino Nano-ARM to 5V pressure sensor

Post by terry » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 am

Hi,

I'm an arduino newbie, and am currently building an analogue handbrake for sim racing. The pressure sensor I'm using requires a 5V VCC, and provides a signal from 0V-5V.

I know that the board is designed to handle a max of 3.3V on input pins, but I still have a couple of questions about how I interface to the 5V sensor that I'd like to confirm with the Nano-ARM experts.

My questions are thus:
  • * I was hoping to power the 5V sensor from the USB. Is there anywhere I can tap the 5V from the Nano-ARM? I can't see a 5V pin anywhere directly on the board itself, and I can't map the schematic to the board markings. I have a Nano-ARM v1.2B.
    * Do I need a 1k/2k voltage divider to step the 5V analogue signal from the sensor down to the 3.3V range? WIll that be enough to protect the A0 input that I'm planning on using?
    * Or can the REF input pin cope with 5V input signal to avoid the need for a voltage divider? (I'm assuming no based on my reading so far but thought I'd ask!)
Thanks
Terry

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Connecting Arduino Nano-ARM to 5V pressure sensor

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm

terry wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:02 am
* Do I need a 1k/2k voltage divider to step the 5V analogue signal from the sensor down to the 3.3V range? WIll that be enough to protect the A0 input that I'm planning on using?
Yes, that is the cheapest way to do it. 1K/2K will give you a 2.5V max from your 5V input. So you might need to change that for a better ratio. But don't go over 3.3V

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm

terry wrote:
* I was hoping to power the 5V sensor from the USB. Is there anywhere I can tap the 5V from the Nano-ARM? I can't see a 5V pin anywhere directly on the board itself, and I can't map the schematic to the board markings. I have a Nano-ARM v1.2B.
VIN should be an option. That is connected to the 5V from the USB

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:52 pm

terry wrote:
* Or can the REF input pin cope with 5V input signal to avoid the need for a voltage divider? (I'm assuming no based on my reading so far but thought I'd ask!)
That is 3.3V max...