grbl freezing periodically

JesseFogel

grbl freezing periodically

Post by JesseFogel » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:43 am

Running Version 2.58 Pi CNC hats on Raspberry Pi 3 Bs
We have numerous boards, (actually two of them are 2.60, the other) 18 are 2.58s

Periodically, grbl will just freeze on them. During feeding, grbl will stop feeding, and stop responding. It does not send an error code, nor go into alarm or lock state. No jogging can be done, and it does not respond to status or any standard grbl commands.

Resetting the pi fixes the issue (either unplugging, or using a reboot from software); however it happens often: our machines run for about 8 hours a day and it happens usually 6-10 times across the 20 machines in that period of time.

Resetting a pi does not prevent the freeze from happening, and it sometimes happens again on the same cnc shield.
We have been unable to determine a cause for this.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: grbl freezing periodically

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 am

Is the machine performing previous movements when it stops responding?

I know GRBL has a small buffer and apps need to wait for the OK signal before it will accept more commands.

Ernesto2

Post by Ernesto2 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Sadly, I think this problem is in the hardware/software. Both of my systems do this. I spent months chasing it, trying different fixes for EMI, and the rPi/protoneer setup just isn't reliable. I'm literally out thousands of dollars over this experiment and feel like there should be a big disclaimer on the product info page that says something like, "For experimental/hobby use only."

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:17 pm

Ernesto2 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:21 pm
Sadly, I think this problem is in the hardware/software. Both of my systems do this. I spent months chasing it, trying different fixes for EMI, and the rPi/protoneer setup just isn't reliable. I'm literally out thousands of dollars over this experiment and feel like there should be a big disclaimer on the product info page that says something like, "For experimental/hobby use only."
As per your request I have updated the product page with a disclaimer. https://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/Raspberry_ ... Disclaimer

Ernesto2

Post by Ernesto2 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:30 pm

That's probably a good idea. I definitely appreciate all the work you have put into this project. I'm still tinkering with my machine when I can and will definitely post up if I ever find the cause of, or solution to, the problem.

KENSTV

Post by KENSTV » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 am

Burtus is likely right about overload, could be memory, input/output or clock or noise, should be able to log it Burtus , it is a real problem with your board

KENSTV

Post by KENSTV » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:26 pm

Maybe this ??

"What I can say about Grbl itself is that I am impressed considering what it runs on. I used to use a Chinese Nano clone, but found that the USB to serial converter chip they use (CH340) can at times result in errors with the G-code stream to Grbl. This is not a fault of Grbl, but specifically the CH340 chip. I have swiched over to an Arduino Uno clone making sure it is one that has the Atmel 16U2 USB to serial chip. The 16U2 has no problems at 115200 baud."

found on CNC Zone

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:35 pm

KENSTV wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:26 pm
Maybe this ??

"What I can say about Grbl itself is that I am impressed considering what it runs on. I used to use a Chinese Nano clone, but found that the USB to serial converter chip they use (CH340) can at times result in errors with the G-code stream to Grbl. This is not a fault of Grbl, but specifically the CH340 chip. I have swiched over to an Arduino Uno clone making sure it is one that has the Atmel 16U2 USB to serial chip. The 16U2 has no problems at 115200 baud."

found on CNC Zone
The board does not contain any serial to USB converters and connects directly to the RPi serial pins. Its very likely that there are to many G-code commands being sent to GRBL while its buffer is full. If GRBL performing movements and does not reply with an OK g-code commands it indicates that its buffer is full. So wait for movements commands to finish before sending more...

jituyhgf5432

Post by jituyhgf5432 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Great Information

brufferman

Post by brufferman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi, I recently completed and got working my home build CNC and twice today the GBRL program stopped in the middle of a job. First time was about 30 minutes in and the second was a bout 1 hour in to the job.
I am using a windows laptop and it most likely that this is the problem. I suspect the laptop decided to perform some other background task and it interrupted the flow of commands. The machine possibly thinking "you can't get there from here" sort of attitude and that is the cause of the issue.

I read somewhere that for linuxCNC, laptops are not a good choice, unless they are specialized for CNC or otherwise high end machines, as the output can be unstable.

While on the subject, I'd like to know if it is possible to get the arduino to read a gcode file direct from a USB and not rely on the laptop at all for the running of the code, but that may be a bit advanced for me as yet.