Import shield with TB6600 stepper drivers

animal

Import shield with TB6600 stepper drivers

Post by animal » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:09 am

hi there , I'm trying to get my board setup (import CNC shield ) using TB6600 stepper drivers . I first set it up using the A4988's for the 3 axis's & all was well. then I tried to set up without the A4988's & using TB6600 stepper drivers .
my lead screw's are 20 tpi , stepper's 200 steps per rev . 8 miscosteping .doing the math I set the software to I come up with 1259.843 steps .
I have the drivers with all grounds to the ground pin on the upper left next to the X stepper driver socket , all of the enables to the enable pin upper left of the X stepper driver socket , then dir & pulse (step) to the pins marked X,Y,Z on the same headers on the upper left . no smoke came , so that's
a good thing . The steppers don't move , I can hear a small grunt from them when I try to move a axis in UGS . what am I doing wrong
thanks
animal

animal

Re: Import shield with TB6600 stepper drivers

Post by animal » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:49 am

nothing ? bummer
animal

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:32 am

animal wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:09 am
hi there , I'm trying to get my board setup (import CNC shield ) using TB6600 stepper drivers . I first set it up using the A4988's for the 3 axis's & all was well. then I tried to set up without the A4988's & using TB6600 stepper drivers .
my lead screw's are 20 tpi , stepper's 200 steps per rev . 8 miscosteping .doing the math I set the software to I come up with 1259.843 steps .
I have the drivers with all grounds to the ground pin on the upper left next to the X stepper driver socket , all of the enables to the enable pin upper left of the X stepper driver socket , then dir & pulse (step) to the pins marked X,Y,Z on the same headers on the upper left . no smoke came , so that's
a good thing . The steppers don't move , I can hear a small grunt from them when I try to move a axis in UGS . what am I doing wrong
thanks
animal
Sound the like the enable pin might not be setup correctly. You can try and hardwire the enable pin...

GRBL invert the enable pin by default.

ShaneNZ

Post by ShaneNZ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:16 am

Just done the same thing this last weekend.

Check your connections - I found the screw terminals on the green plugs for the TB6600s have a small plate that, when you tighten the screw, pulls the plate up. I discovered how easy it is to accidentally poke your wire in on the wrong side of the plate, making a pretty ugly connection, if not falling out yet still looking like they are connected.

If the stepper motors 'thump' then just hiss at you when attempting to make them move, then the step and dir connections likely are backasswards. Again, much to my annoyance and not wearing my glasses.

Set the dip switches to mid range for the current, and single step for the microstepping. I set mine on|on|off|on|off|off (1 step, 2A) as a start point, then once all were moving, fine tune. BTW..Nema23 on 1605 ballscrews.

And make sure all grounds are connected, even the arduino/shield grounds.
I found this clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K0s-RR0Puo) really helpful

Good luck

animal

Post by animal » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:56 am

thanks folks , I put this aside for a while . I will re-do tomorrow night with a fresh start & see what happens . I think one place I screwed up ws doing the math for my lead screws . I have been unable to find a calculator that will work with my 1/4 - 20 leadscrews .
thanks
animal

Aliastar

Post by Aliastar » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:56 am

Hi, any update on the topic? I'm curious about your case.

animal

Post by animal » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:38 am

OK , I have X & Y moving !!!!!!! I am using the headers to the left of X onboard stepper driver . the other thing I did , which Bertus mentioned was I changed $4 to 0 . Thanks Bertus .Thanks for the link to the Vid , that along with the guys web site had some good info . Now I just have to figure out the math part for steps & my lead screws. if any of you folks know of a site that explains the step setup for lead screws in super plain terms I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks again Folks !! I am furthur than I have been before !
animal