Recently Re-did my control panel for CNC Router

Please share your projects...
hasemar

Recently Re-did my control panel for CNC Router

Post by hasemar » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:45 pm

I built an Open Builds C-Beam CNC router a few years ago and the controls for it have gone through various stages of evolution. I started by just mounting the RPi and terminal blocks on the back of the gantry. Soon after I purchased a Super-PID Route speed controller and crammed it into an old computer case. I didn't really have the PID and PC spindle control working properly at the time and just used it with a Pot.

Recently I buckled down and purchased a real enclosure and added some other functionality. Here is the final(-ish) product. I was able to figure out how to utilize the PWM and Spindle DIR to enable the router and vary the speed with S commands in my G-code. I am using a block relay to run the router mains and Stepper DC power through normally open relays that are connected to an E-stop. The E-stop is also activates the Abort input so the computer doesn't still think the hardware is running when it isn't.

Next steps: I still don't have limit switches so I can do any homing, and I also want to make use of the probe input. The thing I am stuck on with the limit switches is how to mount them. They switches mounted to bare boards so I think I want to make a little enclosure for them so they are protected from chips and such.
outside.jpg
outside.jpg (302.99 KiB) Viewed 135 times

inside.jpg
inside.jpg (503.42 KiB) Viewed 135 times

cbeam.jpg
cbeam.jpg (494.05 KiB) Viewed 135 times
side.jpg
side.jpg (321.07 KiB) Viewed 131 times
pendant.jpg
pendant.jpg (540.57 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin