DIY multifunction cnc

Please share your projects...
ernestoa

DIY multifunction cnc

Post by ernestoa » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 pm

This will end up being a 48" x 30" x 12" machine with an adjustable height table and router/spindle/plasma cutter functions. I have a little more done on the frame than the pic shows, have the computer done, and just finished a breakaway floating torch holder for the plasma function. I'm going to install the torch holder on a friend's plasma table so I can cut gussets and eccentric adjustment washers for my machine, so once that's done, the rest of the build will go quickly. I've got almost everything drawn out in cad, and also made a BOM and cut sheet in libre office so I'll put the plans up when everything's finished.

Quick video of floating head:
https://youtu.be/oXqFMrhm3hQ

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: DIY multifunction cnc

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Nice work. I would like to see it in action.. ;)

ernestoa

Post by ernestoa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks! I'm excited to get it running too!

I need to get a friend's cnc plasma table running so I can finish my machine though and it's not going well at all.

Their current system uses a Gecko g540 and Mach3 and it's driving me crazy. Mach 3 randomly quits communicating with the g540 and I've spent so much time troubleshooting that I told them I can't work on it anymore until they replace the computer and controller. Today, after I wired up the floating head that I made, for some unknown reason, the charge pump output from mach3 is outputting 2v off/4.5v on, and the g540 just stays in fault mode regardless of whether the charge pump output is switched on of off in Mach3. If I disable the charge pump input on the g540 with the switch on the unit, the fault goes away but the e-stop signal that's triggered by the breakaway switch on the floating head isn't recognized by Mach3. The g540 shuts off and sends the e-stop signal to Mach3 like it should, but Mach3 doesn't go into reset mode and just keeps chugging along, regardless of port/pin settings.

I really want to set them up with a Protoneer/Rpi3 setup like mine but they are using a Proma thc-150 compact and as far as I can tell, it will be tricky to make it work with grbl, if it will work at all. The Proma thc-sd will work for sure but I'd like to avoid replacing the thc. It looks like LinuxCNC will interface with the thc-150 compact that they already have but I've been searching through posts for hours trying to figure out if LinuxCNC will run on a Protoneer setup. Do you know if this is possible? Sorry if this is a stupid question. There are tons of old posts talking about it but none are conclusive, directly Protoneer hat related, or even comprehensible really.

I'd really appreciate any input!

Also, have you found any decent tutorials for setting up a game controller as a pendant? Again, I've found tons of posts out there but nothing specific to Protoneer, and nothing understandable to a linux noobie.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 pm

ernestoa wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 pm
...figure out if LinuxCNC will run on a Protoneer setup. Do you know if this is possible?

Also, have you found any decent tutorials for setting up a game controller as a pendant? Again, I've found tons of posts out there but nothing specific to Protoneer, and nothing understandable to a linux noobie.
LinuxCNC and GRBL does the same thing. The Protoneer CNC Hat only uses GRBL.

I have not idea on the pendant as that is usually done through software that interact with GRBL like bCNC

ernestoa

Post by ernestoa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm

LinuxCNC and GRBL does the same thing. The Protoneer CNC Hat only uses GRBL.
That's what I suspected. I thought that Linux CNC had a bCNC type interface and wondered if it's GUI could interface with grbl instead of it's internal gcode interpreter. I got that impression from a few videos but wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up.

When I was playing with my setup, I noticed that there didn't seem to be any way to control bCNC from the keyboard. I'll have to look deeper into that because it should be easy to map a game controller to some keyboard functions.

I haven't found any videos on this stuff that are made for people that are a little computer challenged. When I figure it all out, I'll definitely make some tutorials that move slowly, only focus on necessary features, and aren't so full of acronyms and assumptions of previous knowledge. It seems like the people that are good at figuring computer stuff out aren't very good at creating understandable tutorials or documentation, and the people that are good at presentation, aren't too good at the computer side of things, which is understandable. I may be able to become mediocre enough at both to create some content that will help newbies get rolling.

Thanks again for your input.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:56 pm

ernestoa

Post by ernestoa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks! I now realize that I read through that a while back and forgot all about it. I've been a little mentally overloaded for a while now.
Good to know that it's possible!

ernestoa

Post by ernestoa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm working on lots of projects simultaneously but have managed to make some good progress on the CNC!

As soon as I get a friend's plasma table running, I can use it to cut the gussets and other parts I need to finish my machine. It will all be coming together soon!

https://youtu.be/JLvrc-eI9Pw
Attachments
PICT0007jpg.JPG
PICT0007jpg.JPG (167.07 KiB) Viewed 4711 times
PICT0006jpg.JPG
PICT0006jpg.JPG (131.02 KiB) Viewed 4711 times

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:22 am

ernestoa wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 pm
As soon as I get a friend's plasma table running, I can use it to cut the gussets and other parts I need to finish my machine. It will all be coming together soon!
Look very promissing!!!

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:25 am

ernestoa wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:25 pm
Thanks! I now realize that I read through that a while back and forgot all about it. I've been a little mentally overloaded for a while now.
Good to know that it's possible!
ernestoa wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:25 pm
I'm working on lots of projects simultaneously but have managed to make some good progress on the CNC!
I know exactly what you are talking about!!! Deep breaths... :o :o :o

Keep up the good work... ;)