MakeBlock LaserBOT

Please share your projects...
gmoney484

MakeBlock LaserBOT

Post by gmoney484 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 pm

Just for something different, this is the LaserBOT kit from MakeBlock - it's a reasonably powerful laser etcher (1.6W).

The kit was remarkably straight forward to construct (maybe 2 hours) and the build quality is remarkable considering the price US$350 (NZ$499).

http://store.makeblock.com/laserBot-robot-kit

The interesting bit (from my point of view) is the controller, which is a proprietary hat called a MegaPi (I think you get the idea) - more to come on this maybe

http://store.makeblock.com/megapi

I have now spent a fair amount of time trying to get the software loaded, configured etc - proprietary board running proprietary software and proprietary libraries..

In about an hour, the controller will be replaced with a Pi CNC Hat running GRBL - thats when things will start going. I will then do a full review :)

Until then, enjoy the photos.
Attachments
megapi.jpeg
megapi.jpeg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
laserbot.jpeg
laserbot.jpeg (101.68 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

gmoney484

Re: MakeBlock LaserBOT

Post by gmoney484 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:07 am

And clearly this is how is SHOULD be set up....

Change the board, change the plugs and drivers, swap around the SD card... and it works...

Thanks Bertus :)

(although I still don't know why my images are upside down...)
Attachments
laserPi.jpeg
laserPi.jpeg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 3130 times
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm

gmoney484 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 pm
Just for something different, this is the LaserBOT kit from MakeBlock - it's a reasonably powerful laser etcher (1.6W).

The kit was remarkably straight forward to construct (maybe 2 hours) and the build quality is remarkable considering the price US$350 (NZ$499).
Nice looking machine.
I order an XCarve kit on Black Friday. They had a super deal with US$100 off and free shipping worldwide.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 pm

gmoney484 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:07 am
And clearly this is how is SHOULD be set up....

Change the board, change the plugs and drivers, swap around the SD card... and it works...

Thanks Bertus :)

(although I still don't know why my images are upside down...)
haha... would be interested to hear how the pre-released V2.6 board performs. Wonder how hard it would be to extend bCNC to make it work with external Grove devices? :)

jam08033

Post by jam08033 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:30 am

I have exactly the same scenario. I just got my Protoneer hat and got it working with some freestanding steppers. Now the next step is to move it over to my MakeBlock plotter (just a pen version of the LaserBot), but wondering how your project went. Any glitches? Did you use if for anything other than laser? Thanks!