MaxNC-16 Retrofit

Please share your projects...
DaveS

MaxNC-16 Retrofit

Post by DaveS » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 am

About 20 years ago I bought a MaxNC-16 mill. It was state of the art for desktop mills back then. It's a very sturdy aluminum machine. At the time it ran very well. Problem is that it only runs on an old DOS-based program and all the G-code interpretation is done in the PC side so you are basically stuck using one computer to run it. The controller is all analog - no logic at all. The machine itself is very well built however and has some nice motors. It came with Pacific Scientific 215 oz-in steppers and a nice Dayton spindle motor with a speed control.

Fast forward to today and the computer it ran on is long gone and good luck finding anything that can run on DOS these days, plus the company that made the thing is basically defunct now. They still have a website but it's dead. No response from emails - nothing. Can't get software for it. So I decided to resurrect this thing and get it operational once again. I decided to replace the steppers with new ones that are a bit more powerful and I also decided to use an Arduino-based controller. Right now I'm using V3 of the shield but I may go to something else because it's acting somewhat erratic on the test bench. Maybe a 3.51 or the gshield.

Anyway, here's a link to my Google Photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rirmBOI5JTbTl1iL2
It isn't a scratch-build like some I see here (nice work guys - very impressive) but it's still a cool project for my 61-year-old mind to contemplate.

animal

Re: MaxNC-16 Retrofit

Post by animal » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:45 am

do you still have the old steppers ?
animal

DaveS

Re: MaxNC-16 Retrofit

Post by DaveS » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 pm

animal wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:45 am
do you still have the old steppers ?
animal
I do. And you can still get them on Amazon for about $125 USD each.