NON-CNC application - looking for information

Please share your projects...
scalesrc1

NON-CNC application - looking for information

Post by scalesrc1 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:40 am

Hello Forum!
I have an application that needs 3 x steppers with controllers. I discovered this shield and it looks like a really neat way of interfacing an Arduino to 3 motors with 3 shields and all the limit switches required.
Can anyone point me towards any documentation that describes how the shield connects to the controllers to the Arduino?
I am planning to use NEMA 17 stepper motors and A4988 drivers and was considering using the AccelStepper library.
Is this a good direction to go in?
Each motor will drive a spindle which connects via a crank to a platform (imagine a car engine crank connected to a piston) and I want to control each of these cylinders moving slowly up and down, independantly. I will most probably have switches which are activated at the exremes of travel though each crank will most probably move in one direction only, driving the 'piston' up and down repeatedly (more precisely it will be moving the piston from a raised state to a lowered state and then back to a raised state later).

I was just wondering whether this good looking shield would save a whole bunch of wiring!

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: NON-CNC application - looking for information

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:29 pm

scalesrc1 wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:40 am
Hello Forum!
I have an application that needs 3 x steppers with controllers. I discovered this shield and it looks like a really neat way of interfacing an Arduino to 3 motors with 3 shields and all the limit switches required.
Can anyone point me towards any documentation that describes how the shield connects to the controllers to the Arduino?
I am planning to use NEMA 17 stepper motors and A4988 drivers and was considering using the AccelStepper library.
Is this a good direction to go in?
Each motor will drive a spindle which connects via a crank to a platform (imagine a car engine crank connected to a piston) and I want to control each of these cylinders moving slowly up and down, independantly. I will most probably have switches which are activated at the exremes of travel though each crank will most probably move in one direction only, driving the 'piston' up and down repeatedly (more precisely it will be moving the piston from a raised state to a lowered state and then back to a raised state later).

I was just wondering whether this good looking shield would save a whole bunch of wiring!

Its moslikelly you will have to write your own firmware or you could you could use GRBL for it...