Control a spindle motor if an exisisting old mill (Raspberry Pi3b)

Edgravity

Control a spindle motor if an exisisting old mill (Raspberry Pi3b)

Post by Edgravity » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 am

Dear honorable experienced etc people that can help
I wanna use the shield for my spindle motor, it's power supply is separate since I don't think the shield can accommodate it so here's my planned config controls
Rasp pi3b>CNC shield>(any ideas?)>regulator>spindle motor
I'm not well versed on electrical but I think I need a config to up the voltage and amps from my CNC shield to control my spindle motor.
Spec:
350w, single phase, 4.5amps, 6000rpm
Im am a newb and I wanna build one since it's interesting I'm planning on buying a CNC shield and want to use it on an old mill (for my metalworks) rather than make a router.

Appreciate any kind input.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Control a spindle motor if an exisisting old mill (Raspberry Pi3b)

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 pm

I would suggest using a relay with the RPi CNC Hat...
Relay.png
Relay.png (147.34 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
https://www.elecrow.com/1channel-relay- ... -1048.html

The In pin is connected to Spindle Enable on the Hat.
It also need Ground and 5V power.

Edgravity

Post by Edgravity » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 am

Oh thanks for that I will update you after I tried it

Edgravity

Re: Control a spindle motor of an exisisting old mill (Raspberry Pi3b)

Post by Edgravity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:45 am

Im just going to buy the Pi CNC HAT V2.6 (for the coolant and probe feature) but im lost to what stepper should I pair with DRV8825 Stepper Motor Driver. I know Nema 28 works with it but i think its too small. Now what I need are recommendation about the power supply (for the controller Pin 11 - 12 : Main Power Pins - 12-36V "sinusoidal will be good they say" ), for stepper motors (good enough working with aluminum), and with the given spindle I dont think i can use the board with it, but im open to suggestion, though im reluctant to abandon the spindle motor still i want to fully utilize the board since this is my first project (for learning purposes but not too much time to spend searching in-depth due to work). And im interested on the clone feature though it was briefly discussed in the wiki so I want to learn how to utilize this feature. I also need info about the coolant and probe, you can lead me to relevant links or parts so that I can list the parts before buying.

Even though im just starting to learn I want to make this success so I need all the help and suggestion. Thanks

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:06 pm

What stepper do you want to drive is the first question. Based on that you can decide if 8825's will do the work or if you need external drivers with more power.

The power supply is then picked based on the stepper drivers needs. The pins on the board is supplying the pololu compatable drivers. For exteran drivers you can use any power supply that will work with the stepper driver specs.

The cloning splits the Direction,Step and enable pins from a selected axis to the 4th socket.