Using Pololu sockets for external stepper drivers

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Using Pololu sockets for external stepper drivers

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:25 am

CLine wrote:Me too, please! :) (I tried contacting you via admin email)
I have sent you an email with details. ;)

CLine

Post by CLine » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:42 am

Got it - many thanks! :D

TrinGia

Post by TrinGia » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:27 pm

Hey those jumper boards look great, how can I purchase them?
Can you put them on EBay?
I am testing your Pi CNC board 2.51 with some JMC-motor closed loop stepper motors, presently connected with the step and direction pins, but it would be cleaner connecting to the green stepper connectors.

On another subject... What will the future hold... Would you consider making a board with a faster Arduino chip (M0 maybe) with more axis's?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:38 pm

TrinGia wrote:Hey those jumper boards look great, how can I purchase them?
I am testing your Pi CNC board 2.51 with some JMC-motor closed loop stepper motors, presently connected with the step and direction pins, but it would be cleaner connecting to the green stepper connectors.

On another subject... What will the future hold... Would you consider making a board with a faster Arduino chip (M0 maybe) with more axis's?
Very interesting!!! I will try and get them listed ASAP and let you know when they are ready.

Would you mind creating a post in the user project forum about the closed loop drivers you are using? Lots of people have asked about it in the past and I am also very curious about their performance.

I mostly make boards around GRBL firmware that is mostly Arduino UNO based. There has been talks about migrating to ARM chips and it will likely be M3/M4 and will be sometime next year.

There is also an transition that is likely to use the Arduino Mega that will support more axes. That is why I started making MegaPi(http://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/Raspberry_Pi_-_MegaPi_Hat) boards.. :)

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:44 pm

The new external driver breakout board works great :D Thank you..

Very easy to wire up. Being able to use the screw terminals to connect the external driver in place of the nema motor makes upgrading to external drivers almost plug and play.

https://youtu.be/IJQLfMOM5_0

I say include a set with each pi cnc hat even if it raises the cost a little to cover the extra component. That way each buyer has it on hand if they ever want to use external drivers.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Kyo wrote:The new external driver breakout board works great :D Thank you..

Very easy to wire up. Being able to use the screw terminals to connect the external driver in place of the nema motor makes upgrading to external drivers almost plug and play.

https://youtu.be/IJQLfMOM5_0

I say include a set with each pi cnc hat even if it raises the cost a little to cover the extra component. That way each buyer has it on hand if they ever want to use external drivers.
Nice work!!!!

I am also thinking of offering a pre-formatted SD card as an option to get people running ASAP.

mybuild16

Post by mybuild16 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 am

The external drive breakout board is just what I was looking for. Will it work on the 2.58 version? If it does then please steer me in the right direction to get a couple. I have four brand new DQ542MA drivers just waiting to get hooked up to my Openbuild's modified OX.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:25 am

mybuild16 wrote:The external drive breakout board is just what I was looking for. Will it work on the 2.58 version? If it does then please steer me in the right direction to get a couple. I have four brand new DQ542MA drivers just waiting to get hooked up to my Openbuild's modified OX.
I just listed it on Ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pololu-Socket-T ... 389562146?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:25 am

TrinGia wrote:Hey those jumper boards look great, how can I purchase them?

Took a while but I have listed them. :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pololu-Socket-T ... 389562146?

Levictus

Post by Levictus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:57 am

So will theses work for the 2.58 version of the board as well?