Using Pololu sockets for external stepper drivers

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
rmasci

Re: Using Pololu sockets for external stepper drivers

Post by rmasci » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 am

Your product is awesome. I've used xcarve-server / xcarve-proxy so that I can use the Inventables Easel program just as if I had purchased their controller. The only exception is that I don't have to be next to the thing to run a carve! In fact I started one while watching TV in my living room. I spent less money that if I had purchased the controller. Now I just have to craft a case...

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:37 pm

:) Thanks..... I am thinking of adding LED's to indicate the state of the pins making it easier to see what's happening.

rmasci

Post by rmasci » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Ever think of offering a complete solution? Sell the Raspberry, Protoneer, Drivers (Pololu or external) all preconfigured? I'm an IT guy, and before that I was Avionics so soldering and configuring electronics / computers etc are easy for me. From what I can tell the XCarve / Shapoko III are pretty popular, but their flaw is that (1) You need to plug your computer in directly. (2) All the high powered drivers are on ONE board. Blow the X or Y axis and you have to buy the controller again. So I figure in the not-so-distant future there could be a few people from the woodworking side of the house looking for a replacement who don't have the know how to cobble it all together.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:48 pm

rmasci wrote:Ever think of offering a complete solution? Sell the Raspberry, Protoneer, Drivers (Pololu or external) all preconfigured? I'm an IT guy, and before that I was Avionics so soldering and configuring electronics / computers etc are easy for me. From what I can tell the XCarve / Shapoko III are pretty popular, but their flaw is that (1) You need to plug your computer in directly. (2) All the high powered drivers are on ONE board. Blow the X or Y axis and you have to buy the controller again. So I figure in the not-so-distant future there could be a few people from the woodworking side of the house looking for a replacement who don't have the know how to cobble it all together.
Yes, I have been thinking of it for a while. My biggest obstacle is logistics from New Zealand. I have investigated Amazon services but they are pretty strict and I am getting stuck on a few of the requirements.

ernestoa

Post by ernestoa » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:47 am

JanBVik wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 am
The Pololu socket adapter looks nice :)
I made a simulare thing of parts from an old floppy disk.

But now I have removed it and just fitted jumpers over the Pololu socket, to breakout the Motor connections for use with External drives.
I took the time this morning to make a drawing and a couple of pictures, hope it could help other "dummies" like me to a quick setup.

JanB
Thank you for posting such a clear pic of how to wire these. You made it look so easy that I decided to jumper mine instead of waiting for the external driver boards to get back in stock. Bad idea.

I would definitely NOT recommend the jumper method for a reliable system though. The headers are just little forks that are specifically designed to receive hard pins of an exact size. I just wasted a couple of hours tinning jumpers and chasing iffy connections due to the jumpers not making solid enough contact. If the external driver boards aren't available, I'd highly recommend removing the headers and soldering the jumpers directly to the board. Since the external driver boards seem to be difficult to keep in stock, I'd recommend selling the units with the driver headers unsoldered. It's super easy to solder them in but getting them out takes a while to do with hobby level desoldering tools.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 am

ernestoa wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:47 am
JanBVik wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:38 am
The Pololu socket adapter looks nice :)
I made a simulare thing of parts from an old floppy disk.

But now I have removed it and just fitted jumpers over the Pololu socket, to breakout the Motor connections for use with External drives.
I took the time this morning to make a drawing and a couple of pictures, hope it could help other "dummies" like me to a quick setup.

JanB
Thank you for posting such a clear pic of how to wire these. You made it look so easy that I decided to jumper mine instead of waiting for the external driver boards to get back in stock. Bad idea.

I would definitely NOT recommend the jumper method for a reliable system though. The headers are just little forks that are specifically designed to receive hard pins of an exact size. I just wasted a couple of hours tinning jumpers and chasing iffy connections due to the jumpers not making solid enough contact. If the external driver boards aren't available, I'd highly recommend removing the headers and soldering the jumpers directly to the board. Since the external driver boards seem to be difficult to keep in stock, I'd recommend selling the units with the driver headers unsoldered. It's super easy to solder them in but getting them out takes a while to do with hobby level desoldering tools.
The V2.6 board has solderable pads to the side of the stepper driver connectors that can be used to hardwire external drivers.