GRBL 1.1 upgrade

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
JMeikrantz

GRBL 1.1 upgrade

Post by JMeikrantz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:00 pm

I cannot get the CNC board to upgrade to 1.1.
Continually get avrdude:stk500_getsync():not in sync errors. Have tried different versions of IDE, Windows, Mac, and RPi platforms.
What am I missing here?

This is board rev 2.51 with socketed Arduino.

-- John

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: GRBL 1.1 upgrade

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:22 am

I have a 2.51 edition of the RPi CNC controller, and I can't get it to upgrade to grbl 1.1. I always get a avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync error when attempting to upload (directly connected via USB on the Nano). I've tried different versions of Arduino IDE, as well as trying from Mac, Linux, and Windows machines. It sees the board fine on the right COM port. When I run the serial monitor, I get the grbl prompt.

Also tried programming via serial from the RPi, with same results.

Any ideas on what I'm missing here?

Thanks,

John Meikrantz

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:23 am

Bertus,

Never mind, got it working with another Nano (still have the original RPi CNC board you sent for the challenge!). The Nano that I pulled from that board worked, but I still can't flash the Nano that came with the RPi CNC board that I purchased via Ebay.

Great product! I'm excited to test out some things with grbl 1.1.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:24 am

Bertus,

Final post-mortem. Some Arduino Nano's seem to work directly connected to the USB 3.0 ports on my laptop. Some only work if they are plugged into a USB hub, and not directly into the laptop ports! The original "non upgradeable" Arduino that I was struggling with worked seamlessly when plugged into an intermediate USB hub.

Whew! Too many hours wasted on figuring that out! You can disregard approving the forum posts, or maybe post with solution of USB hub.

Thanks,

John

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:27 am

Hi John,

Sorry for the late reply. It might be to do with Serial to USB chip on the NANO's. That is the main reason I moved to an embedded version of the board.

The V2.51 you talked about does not allow for firmware updates via the serial pins for the Nano board version.(Needs to be done via USB on the Pi or other PC.)

I will make a new release of the RPi image soon. Will announce it on the forum and via my newsletter. ;)

resain

Post by resain » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 am

I'm also struggling with upgrading to GRBL 1.1, same symptoms as you describe but even via a USB hub no luck, anybody have any further ideas or do I need to get a new Nano board? if so any recommendations for a good quality unit?

Thanks
Ron

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 pm

resain wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 am
I'm also struggling with upgrading to GRBL 1.1, same symptoms as you describe but even via a USB hub no luck, anybody have any further ideas or do I need to get a new Nano board? if so any recommendations for a good quality unit?

Thanks
Ron
Issue is with the Boot-loader on the NANO. It was overwritten/corrupted. Arduino IDE needs the boot-loader to be able to program it.

This can happen to all Arduino Boards and the way to fix it is to Reprogram the Boot-loader via ISP programmer.

(Or get a new Nano)

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:55 pm

I have the v3.0 image (I think, it's at least not the v4.0, it has CNC.js 1.5.1).

I have the version of the board with the nano. I think that means I have 2.51 at the latest.

Should I just plug in my laptop via USB and follow the grbl instructions for updating to v1.1? I don't want to change my image to v4.0. I have customized some things, and I didn't make a list...

https://github.com/gnea/grbl/wiki/Flash ... an-Arduino

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:41 pm

If you have the NANO version I would unplug it program it via the lined instruction and just plug it back in again.

RPI Image V3 software might not be comparable with GRBL V1.1 thought.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:12 pm

I did that, and it worked fine. I also upgraded cnc.js with their instructions (after installing the os updates).