Powered USB Hub

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
danose

Powered USB Hub

Post by danose » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Hi,

I was about to plug a powered USB hub into the Raspberry Pi, but I seem to remember reading somewhere (I forget where) that this would be a bad idea with the CNC hat fitted. Needless to say, I don't want to down my machine by doing that.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case and what the issues would be? Would it blow the RPi? The Hat? The CNC? Or did I imagine reading this?

Many thanks,

Danose

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Powered USB Hub

Post by Bertus Kruger » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Hi..

RPi's tend to need a stable power supply. 2-3A at 5V.

Without it they can be flaky and the SD card can get corrupted when the unit restarts unexpectedly. Also the more things you plug into it the more likely that it will happen.

danose

Post by danose » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:00 am

Thanks for the reply Bertus.

So in other words, from an electronic point of view, a powered hub on the RPi's USB won't damage the CNC Hat or the Arduino Nano?

My set up does have a stable 2.1A supply for the RPi and I take the point that the more you plug in the worse things may be. The powered hub would be for things like keyboards and mice for the RPi as typically cables for peripherals like this aren't long enough (my CNC is 1x1.5m) and others have apparently had problems with wireless devices in close proximity to stepper drivers and stepper motors.

Thanks again,

Danose

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Should be okay then... ;)