Grbl not responding to $ or $$

Question/Answers related to this version of the board.
JanBVik

Grbl not responding to $ or $$

Post by JanBVik » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:46 am

Hi, I have no respond to commands punched in to serial terminal for the Arduino's Grbl
I get connection and ," grbl 0.9i ($ for help)" but get no respond on any commands sendt
The nano is attached to the Protoneer board, and the Pi is not powered.
Any suggestions what could be wrong ?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Grbl not responding to $ or $$

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:49 am

How are you sending the commands?

It might be missing newline or return characters.

Is it responding to "?"

JanBVik

Post by JanBVik » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:19 pm

Tried It all Bert, Carriage return, new line, settings, the lot, no success.
Really strange, I'v loaded up code and flashed a lot of UNO's with the same setup, but the Nano on the shield no way... This morning I got the $100 calibration config done thru, punching in $$ reading the settings in bCNC command line. Have not done a measured check diagonal parallells, radius and so on yet, but I think the scaling on the plasma table is right now. Hope that the values was stored in the Arduino, just have to check again at next start up.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:40 am

Mmmmm... What terminal software are you using to connect to the Nano?

Does one of the LED's on the Nano blink when you type stuff in the terminal?

I program the Nano's with AVRdude (Same as Arduino) before shipping them.Then I insert them onto the board and fire them up running tests for 30+ minutes.

JanBVik

Post by JanBVik » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:24 am

Hi Bert, thank you for your effort. No doubt that your grbl load up is working. But there was no contact signs like flashing or text respond on any commands thru terminal. I use Arduino' terminal app, and I used the setup for several UNO's and Megas without problems.
What about $101-103 in Grbl punched in bCNC, does the scales you punch there get stored in the Nano by default ?

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:29 am

Starting to wonder if its the Nano. I have used the Arduino terminal in the past and have to enable CR and NL at Baud 115200

Yes, they should be save on the Nano's EEPROM memory for the next time it starts up.

mike58

Post by mike58 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:52 am

I have similar problem with my nano 3.0 - but I get on serial some Chinese letters..
Which port driver you have ?
Mike

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:46 am

mike58 wrote:I have similar problem with my nano 3.0 - but I get on serial some Chinese letters..
Are you setting the baud-rate at 115200 for Grbl 0.9?

ralfkuh

Post by ralfkuh » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:16 pm

I had the same problem with Arduino UNO with grbl 0.9j connected to Raspberry Pi.

When using the Serial Monitor from the Arduino IDE i get the GRBL startmessage and the system commands ('~', '!', '?') are working and sending response. All the $ commands do not work. At least there is no response shown. The LEDs on the arduino are blinking of course when i send something. I tried to change baud rates from 115200 to 57600 but it didn't solve the problem.

Then i used minicom serial terminal to connect to the arduino and with that it is working as expected.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:16 pm

ralfkuh wrote:I had the same problem with Arduino UNO with grbl 0.9j connected to Raspberry Pi.

When using the Serial Monitor from the Arduino IDE i get the GRBL startmessage and the system commands ('~', '!', '?') are working and sending response. All the $ commands do not work. At least there is no response shown. The LEDs on the arduino are blinking of course when i send something. I tried to change baud rates from 115200 to 57600 but it didn't solve the problem.

Then i used minicom serial terminal to connect to the arduino and with that it is working as expected.
Did you enable the Newline and Carriage Return option in the Arduino Terminal?

(? does not need a Courage return but the others do )