Marlin firmware compatibility

Raspberry Pi - MegaPi Hat related Question/Answers.
timgow

Marlin firmware compatibility

Postby timgow » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:02 pm

Hello,
I'm looking at the MegaPi Hat in view of running Marlin firmware configured for a rotary (non-linear) delta 3d printer.
Does the MegaPi allow Arduino code to be compiled on the Raspberry Pi and stepper signals to be sent to the RAMPS 1.4 board?
I use the Protoneer RPi CNC Hat for my Shapeoko CNC router and I'm very impressed (this includes Arduino Uno / ATMEGA328 type SBC).
Which OS do you recommend for the RPi for this gcode / RAMPS 1.4 / stepper application? I'm a bit concerned about using a general purpose OS without a realtime SBC (ATMEGA328).
The rotary delta robot / printer requires extra calculations (compared to a linear delta) for a given gcode instruction due to arc swept at the top of each tie-rod pair (3 pairs total); will the MegaPi Hat allow faster running of Marlin compile program, compared to a Arduino Mega 2560?
Tim

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Marlin firmware compatibility

Postby Bertus Kruger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:44 pm

The MegaPi is the same as an Arduino Mega 2560 but connects to the Pi via Serail..

The Mega can be programmed via Arduino and or ISP pins.

It should be fine with the RAMPS boards..

As for OS I would stick to the standard RPI images and install the needed Marlin software on it.

Might be worth testing if the 3D printers software works on the Pi before building the 3d printer. ;)

timgow

Postby timgow » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Bertus,
Thank you for your answers, I hadn't appreciated that the Hat incorporates the mega 2560, duh, very neat; now ordering it.
Tim

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Postby Bertus Kruger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:35 am

No worries.. ;)

Return to “Raspberry Pi - MegaPi Hat”