Want to buy

flyboy74

Want to buy

Post by flyboy74 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 pm

I want to buy the RPi CNChat and needed extras.

I have tried to use message to Bertus Kruger but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the message from the outbox to the sent box.

As posted on earlier post I want to know what extras I need.

I assume that I will need RPi CNChat, SD card, external driver connectors ??? Can Bertus confirm this??

If this is what I need the Ebay shop doesn't have this option. How can I go about buying the product??

gmoney484

Re: Want to buy

Post by gmoney484 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:18 am

A Pi CNC Hat needs:

A Raspberry Pi, which needs:
an SD card (the HAT comes with a SD card pre-installed with software)
a 5V power supply (might be included with a Raspberry Pi, often not included)

The HAT needs:
3 x Stepper drivers (or 4) - plug in or external - if you go for externals, you should get the protoneer pololu to external boards to replace each driver.
A power supply for the steppers (which can possibly be the same as the Raspberry Pi, such as a PC ATX power supply)

Apart from steppers and other mechanical hardware, thats all you'll need.
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

flyboy74

Post by flyboy74 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:56 am

Ok as in previous posts.

I have a manual mill that I am converting. I have 3 x nema 34 8.5N/m steppers, 3 x MA860H drivers, 3 x 60v 5.8a power supplies, more RPi's than I can count on my fingers and plenty of power supplies for RPi, I will be using Fusion 360 to design and the CAM function to create the tool paths and G-Code.

I certainly feel like I am going around in circles and getting nowhere. I am keen to buy this product but being able to find answers to some basic question before purchase seems to be a long battle up hill.

I need to know what I need to make the CNCHat go and how I can purchase it.
1. The CNChat is obvious,
2. Do I need breakout connectors to run the wires to my external drivers as the little gecko ones won't handle 60V 5a???
3. Do I need to buy the SD card or can I just use 1 of my own and either up date the standard Raspbain image or down load the protoneer image??? What's the difference in the image from the standard???

If it is yes to all 3 Questions how can I go about buying these 3 things as this isn't an option on the ebay shop???

flyboy74

Post by flyboy74 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:10 am

ok I have found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJQLfMO ... e=youtu.be
And I see the breakout connector for the external drivers.

So just need answers for other 2 question.
1. What's different about the image on SD and can I just download it to my own SD card??
2. If I do need to buy all 3 items (CNCHat, SD, External driver breakout) then how can I do this as it isn't an option on the ebay store??

Just realized 1 more question how can I arrange faster freight as ebay store tells me end of August. I live in Australia, where is it being freighted from??

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Yes, you can use your own SD card. You can download and install the full image from the protoneer wiki here:

http://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/Raspberry_P ... tart_Guide

On the EBAY Protoneer shop page, there are two available options for the Pi CNC Hat

- individual Hat
- Hat with extra options - its the one with the price range... pick that one..
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

flyboy74

Post by flyboy74 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks.

Is there a way to get a quote on using faster shipping instead of the economy that takes 1 month to arrive??

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Its being shipped from NZ - can't imagine it would take more than a few days. Everything I've ordered takes less than a week.
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

flyboy74

Post by flyboy74 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 am

I though it was being shipped from NZ. Couldn't work out why Ebay was saying a month.

I suppose I will order and see then. Don't seem to be able to get a response from the Protoneer and that does worry me if it is being this hard just to spend my money with them what will it be like to get after sales service if there is a problem??

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:31 pm

School holidays here in NZ. Maybe Bertus is on vacation with the kids? Just sayin..
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:07 am

flyboy74 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:07 pm
If this is what I need the Ebay shop doesn't have this option. How can I go about buying the product??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raspberry-Pi-CN ... ny20Sut7aw

This listing has extra options with all of the above you mentioned.