almost solved

Whittler

Re: almost solved

Post by Whittler » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:02 am

Ernie, I'm curious of what exactly you are trying to do.
From the various threads you have wrote this is what I am deducing.
It maybe totally wrong.
You apparently have an x-Carve cnc machine that you are converting to a laser system.
You have decided to upgrade the machine to a Raspberry Pi 3 and a CNC hat.
From the various threads I have read you apparently have gotten the X,Y, and Z motor controls to work and even
the laser working with the CNC hat.
So you want to get the J Tech Photonics 0.9g GRBL Firmware on your Arduino to allow you to use picengrave ?
(https://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=3565)
"This version of firmware was developed so you can do variable intensity photo engravings using the PicLaser software. The G Code generated from the PicLaser program will give a different power level for each pixel of an image. Note that this version will still control your router as well. Everything will still be the same."
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.
I knew immediately that was where I belonged.

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:30 am

Not quite right Tom,
The engraver was built wholely by me, All the parts except for motors ect, and rods and bearings, I 3D printed, it was run first up using an Arduino Uni with a CNC shield, then I added a Z axis so I could vary the height for cutting, it is solely a laser engraver/ Cutter, now using the Pihat.
As mentioned earlier I am looking to engrave photos, and have had some luck. Ernie

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:44 am

Finally got what I have been looking for.

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:38 am

No worries,Problem solved, have had very good results.

Whittler

Post by Whittler » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Can you post a picture of the results ?
Research is the only place in a company where you can continually have failures and still keep your job.

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 am

ImageImage

Ok Tom , here is my effort, not the best of images, it was printed on an aclylic mirror.
Sorry for being late in replying have been sick with shingles.

Whittler

Post by Whittler » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the picture. Not bad at all.
Very similar results to Lithophane creations.
So it looks like it is possible to use a Raspberry PI and a CNC hat to do this. I just need to free up some time as I have all the parts. Got a Folger Tech F5 3-d printer to assemble before starting another fun project. If only I could retire...

I have had the Shingles when I was really young. Not fun at all. Wishing you the best on recovery. Sometimes it takes weeks to months.
Take care.
Tom

erniehatt

Post by erniehatt » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:26 am

Whittler wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 pm
Thanks for the picture. Not bad at all.
Very similar results to Lithophane creations.
So it looks like it is possible to use a Raspberry PI and a CNC hat to do this. I just need to free up some time as I have all the parts. Got a Folger Tech F5 3-d printer to assemble before starting another fun project. If only I could retire...
Thanks Tom, Lucky me I am retired, and have lots of time for these things, but money can be a problem.
I have built a 3D printer, based on a reprap prusar, I used a verybasic kit from ebay, not really a good idea, as most parts ended up failing, but after reprinting all the parts and changing power supplie I have finally got it working as needed, this enabled me to print all the parts for the laser engraver.
I wish you luck and mush enjoyment with build ing yours. Ernie