Please Help me build USB control box for 3020 Chinese router

trackvw

Please Help me build USB control box for 3020 Chinese router

Post by trackvw » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:47 pm

Greetings from California

I got a 3020 CNC Router at a local flea market for CHEAP , it is complete except for the missing control box,

Can you help me build a control BOX ? hopefully USB so I can use my laptop with GRBL

I have a Arduino Mega board , a CNC Shield 3.0 and that is it :) NOW HAVE Adruino UNO to keep it simple !

first California is 110 volt house current ,

So I think I will build a box in an old metal PC box I have ,

In the box I will need :

power supply for the 24v NEMA 23 stepper motors , but how many watts ? is there any machines that use a 24v power supply that I can salvage ?
is there any reason to buy an expensive one ?

then I need to get the round 4 pin female ends for the aircraft connectors on the ends of the motors , what size are they ? I can measure the male ones I have but I did not find a spec sheet for the many sizes ,

Then I need a control board and power for the cutting spindle , right now it has the supplied 48V router spindle motor , and I have no power supply , variable speed control or on off switch , I would like to be able to use this spindle motor since I own it ,
But if it costs too much I may buy a better router motor since it is the part doing most of the work ,

That seems to be all that is in the control box ! a laser pointer , limit switches , and maybe an RPM gauge and a spy camera for later :shock:

Is there anything else I need to add ? Any reason for a touch screen ? or bluetooth -wifi - etc

Thanks for your ideas of what to do ,
but even better sometimes is letting us know what you did WRONG so we do not make the same mistake :D
Last edited by trackvw on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Re: Please Help me build USB control box for 3020 Chinese router

Post by Bertus Kruger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi.

It might be better to get an Arduino Uno to work with the CNC Shield. GRBL (Firmware) does not officially support MEGA's.

Power supply I would look at 12-24V rated for 6A or more..

The connectors are standard 0.1" 4 pin connectors that can be bought of ebay with wires crimped to them.

Always connect the stepper motors to the board before inserting the stepper drivers and power it on. Else the firmware will generate binary signals in smoke form... :D

trackvw

Post by trackvw » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:11 pm

OK.....UNO it is

can you give me the link of the 4 pin connectors with the wires already attached ?

and I will try and stay away from "smoke signals" , I have had too many on my Vintage cars ! and yes I have been to Horopito Motors years ago :D

Ohhh and do you have something running on your CNC shield ? Any pictures or stories of "smoke"

Thanks for all the info

ADDED; on PCB CNC Post by gmoney484 "I strongly recommend using a PC ATX power supply"
the Nema 23 steppers say 24V , are there ATX power supplies that out out 24v ? does the stepper really need 24v ?
And if I do need 24V what the bet value power supply to buy ?

thanks again

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:15 am

trackvw wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:11 pm

ADDED; on PCB CNC Post by gmoney484 "I strongly recommend using a PC ATX power supply"
the Nema 23 steppers say 24V , are there ATX power supplies that out out 24v ? does the stepper really need 24v ?
And if I do need 24V what the bet value power supply to buy ?

thanks again
You can run a 24V stepper at 12V (not the other way around). It will have less current, so less torque. Won't matter much (depending on what you are cutting) and will get you up and running quickly.

ATX power supplies are awesome because they are cheap (or usually free), they have 12V and 5V (for the Pi) and usually more than enough current and cooling.

It is possible to convert an ATX power supply to 24V (or modify and use two in series), but I probably wouldn't because you can buy 24V power supplies pretty cheaply, and if you are going to this much trouble (of two power supplies or a one modified one), just get two power supplies 12V and 24V. Check some prices on EBAY or Aliexpress - they are pretty reasonable (~$20-30 US upwards)

You can get ATX server power supplies that are 24V, but again, for the price, a 24V supply bought online will be cheaper.

Re: wiring. This is your best friend forever - this and screw terminals... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mixed-1 ... 09856.html
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

trackvw

Post by trackvw » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi

yes getting it up and running is the main thing , and not doing something that I will have to do again the correct way ,

OK , I have enough old PCs around here for a ATX power supply and a cooling fan , I am not going to worry about the Spindle right now ,
If I can get the X-Y- Motors moving I will just use a marking pen to watch how it travels ,

These Chinese machines come with a 48V spindle router , since I did not get the control box I do not have the board for the spindle router or the 48v power supply , I will worry about this later but if I get X-Y-Z working I might buy a more powerful spindle router.

I like that it works over USB , But I will probably use an old Desktop computer if I even want to make a batch of parts so I can use the laptop for other things ,

I have a 3D printer that works off an SD card so no computer needs to be hooked up to the 3D printer ,
not that it matters much , but is there a way to use an SD card add on board for a desktop CNC ?

Again thanks for your help , I know old cars , but this is a new world

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:11 pm

Any time :)

One thing I would recommend (as you are in the early stages) is to think about going with the Raspberry Pi and the Pi CNC board. Its a great integrated system, inexpensive and all the software is free.
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School

trackvw

Post by trackvw » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:23 pm

are these the correct size of the 4 pin round connectors that come on the 3020 stepper motors ?

https://www.amazon.com/16mm-Metal-Aviat ... ctor+round

I could not find the ones with the wires already attached which I would rather buy as my soldering is not that good

Thanks

Bertus Kruger
Site Admin

Post by Bertus Kruger » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:57 pm

I can't tell if they are the correct size but I can say I always find it hard to solder those.

trackvw

Post by trackvw » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:13 pm

I got my Arduini UNO today , I will save the Mega for later or when GRGL supports it ,

What charger with the round plug do I need ? some say 9v - 1amp , others say 12v and 500ma , what will work ? I have a box of old chargers sitting here !

and I ordered the "Aircraft" 4 pin plugs so I can hook up the steppers with the round plugs that came with the machine ,

slowly getting there.....

gmoney484

Post by gmoney484 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:22 am

12V is the max recommended voltage, 7V is the minimum - go for the max ie 12V

Minimum current depends on what you are going to connect, but 500mA is plenty. Obviously there is no max.
Gavin Milne
HoD Science
Dilworth School